Nice morning for a rabbit shoot

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
So I'm a bit late to the rabbit party but I was finally able to get out and whack some bunnies. What a nice morning it was in the SD back country! I brought my shotgun (Franchi Affinity, 12G, mod choke) as my 22 is out of commission at the moment and I love bustin' the brush and swinging on a zippy bunny. Early on was real slow, only saw 1 rabbit in an hour but did see/hear a few hen turkeys and a nice 10+ covey of quail. After it warmed up the rabbits finally decided to come out and I put shots on a few runners out of the sage brush. By 0830 I had my bag of 5 and called it. The one missing a body was from a close range flush that got mangled so bad I could only salvage the legs.

f3679be23428c946ab51f56805846169.jpg

5400b30d7b8e4e11e2e4f5ae4b2b0f9a.jpg

I have noticed for rabbits it's best to start walking around right after the sun comes out. They seem to like the morning heat. Last year I learned that I can hit the snooze button a few times and still bag some. All I saw was a few jacks and some fast cottons this morning. I had my 22lr so came home empty. Great job on the cottons and nice gun!

Sigalert2012 said:
I have noticed for rabbits it's best to start walking around right after the sun comes out. They seem to like the morning heat. Last year I learned that I can hit the snooze button a few times and still bag some. All I saw was a few jacks and some fast cottons this morning. I had my 22lr so came home empty. Great job on the cottons and nice gun!
Sig,

I notice the same when I quail hunt in the winter. In the cold mornings the birds seem to stay on the roost longer and the bunnies are often tucked in until the sun starts hitting the bush. I like getting out early anyway though just because its cool being in the woods at dawn.

That matches whatever I noticed too, even in the afternoon. I was wondering if they like the long shadows more than actual twilight.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu