Non-Toxic Bullets

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Hey,

I am a long time Barnes X fan and have shot all of their X bullets. The original X bullet, the blue moly coated X bullet (XLC), the TSX, MRX and now I am shooting the TTSX. I am having great luck with the TTSX. I have shot deer, elk and pigs with all the above bullets and can't say I have ever been anything but happy with the performance. I have also had great luck with the Winchester Fail-Safe but I believe the core on that bullet is lead (or it used to be).

Question:

Are any of you folks using some of the other non-toxic brands? Nosler and Hornady both have their version etc.

John

Always been a Nosler fan of Ballistic Tips and Partitions.But with the lead free law I have been thinking about changing to the Barnes X.It's hard when the loads that im using work so well.
I guess if the laws are changing I better keep up,or it will get expensive.

I've been using Barnes X since I was 12 years old, I'm now 21. I have had the opportunity to put down many big game animals over the years. I've never had an animal as much as take a step after pumping one single Barnes X right behind the shoulder. Every time I walk up to an animal I have shot, the quarry has been laying in the same spot, in a bath of blood where they had their last memory of an X plowing through their body. Very awesome bullets.

Nothing wrong with the Barnes line but in fact their are many good bullets out there not like it was when I started relaoding in the mid seventies when factory ammo was acceptable at best and accuracy was only acheved if you relaoded. I think the most important aspect of bullet selection now is to match the bullet performance to the type of game you are pursueing i.e. ballistic tips for thin skin so forth and so on

NBK said:
Hey,

I am a long time Barnes X fan and have shot all of their X bullets. The original X bullet, the blue moly coated X bullet (XLC), the TSX, MRX and now I am shooting the TTSX. I am having great luck with the TTSX. I have shot deer, elk and pigs with all the above bullets and can't say I have ever been anything but happy with the performance. I have also had great luck with the Winchester Fail-Safe but I believe the core on that bullet is lead (or it used to be).

Question:

Are any of you folks using some of the other non-toxic brands? Nosler and Hornady both have their version etc.

John,

I mainly use the lead-free when required like D-7 this year, I loaded some barnes-X and the new Hornady GMX, I found that the two bullets shot the same(very good). I'm a Hornady fan, I shoot the Interbonds mostly. One thing I learned recently is how important it is to clean your barrel with a product like Sweets, I believe the copper fowling is increased when using the lead-free bullets. Do you agree?

copper fouling is a big deal with the lead free stuff. I used to use sweets and a bunch of others as well but for the last three years I've been using "wipe out" brand foaming bore cleaner along with their accelerator. no scrubbing, no elbow grease and no chance you'll screw up the bore with all the back and forth action just swab it with accelerator and squirt the foam in wait a few hours and repeat. also its non corrosive so I leave it in overnight. The stuff really works!

The foam turns into a small puddle inthe bore and you use a swab or two to wipe it clean and repeat the process. I've been messing with rifles and accuracy for forty years now and this is hands down the best method combined with the least amount of work I'ver ever used. try it you'll throw away all your bore brushes!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu