Noobs hunting question

Akleinschmidt

Jan 30, 2016
San Diego
Wasn't too sure if this thread should of went into the noogie section.
New to the hunting rules and regs, I've read most of the state laws but still had some questions.
I'm about to get a late start in this turkey season and if anything it'll be some good exercise. I paid for my license and other than it saying that I paid for upland game do any need anything else? Like do I need the actual tag to put around their leg?

Am I allowed to field strip turkeys? Like get the breast and wing meat keep the legs with the spur and pull the beard? And hike out. Or we must keep it whole and have someone sign off on it?

Hello and welcome to the site and the art of hiking with a gun.
Turkey is on your honor so no tag and no sign off like deer. I wish you the best late turkey season but don't get your hopes up too much turkey takes hard work preseason but have fun be safe and post up your trip anyway.

As for field dressing I'm pretty sure you could dress and leave behind but remember it depends on how you dispose of it and where you are in relation to other people. People don't like to see gut piles or 1/2 a dead bird. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Also make sure you take evidence that it's a legal bird. Take lots of pictures take the beard like you said ect. You don't need me green jeans asking questions you can't answer. The signs in all the heiritage fields in the IV say to take all your dove dressings but that's the IV and dove.

Happy hunting.

AK,

Welcome to SCH.....I suppose it's legal to clean them in the field, but why?.....The feathers can be used for many things, the wings can be made into calls, and more of the meat can probably be salvaged in a controlled environment....Get yourself a good turkey vest or backpack.....Carrying them out in a pack is much better & easier than by their feet.....A lot safer on public land too.

Good luck

So just curious, if you have to legally shoot a "bearded bird" how would you prove this to a warden if you cleaned your bird in the field?

Tbob said:
So just curious, if you have to legally shoot a "bearded bird" how would you prove this to a warden if you cleaned your bird in the field?
Bring the beard with you. Maybe leave some of the meat on the bird so there's proof that it's a fresh beard. I would suggest just carrying the bird out whole. Plus it's cool when you see other hunters after a successful hunt and show them the so called fruits of your harvest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D16hunter said:
Tbob said:
Bring the beard with you. Maybe leave some of the meat on the bird so there's proof that it's a fresh beard. I would suggest just carrying the bird out whole. Plus it's cool when you see other hunters after a successful hunt and show them the so called fruits of your harvest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely, but put the bird completely inside your pack or a decoy bag to carry it out, especially on public land because a moving turkey could get shot at, and you don't want to be carrying it at that moment.

All great help
Seems as if it would be just beneficial to bring the entire bird out.

Went out today early in the morning, heard some yelps, seen some tracks. Attempted a few calls for the first time and more than likely was spotted.
I see how calling in a bird would be a pretty awesome feeling

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu