Not SoCal, but....

B W E

Jun 26, 2014
Just wrapped up a two week caribou and moose hunt back home in Alaska. Here's my caribou!
650 yard heart shot, .30-06, 180gr. Barnes TTSX handload.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
Strong work BWE. That looks like a blast. How about some finer details on the hunt?

Nice

Did you find the bullet? wonder how the Barnes expanded at 650yds........I hate copper but it looks as if it did the job!

MJB said:
Nice

Did you find the bullet? wonder how the Barnes expanded at 650yds........I hate copper but it looks as if it did the job!

The bullet was nowhere to be found, passed straight through, though the exit wound (in the meat) was about the size of my fist. The minimum velocity for max expansion with the TTSX is 2000fps, and at 650 I would have been around 1750, so, I shot knowing I wouldn't get max performance. But, It did go through ribs, heart, and destroyed the opposite shoulder. You can see in the picture the shoulder is jacked up.

My dad shot a spike moose from 424 yards two days later with 180gr Scirocco and we found that bullet, just the tip was mushroomed, but was still almost twice the diameter.

Great shooting B.W.E! What a nice animal.

I saw one comment that someone does not like copper. Please don't single out a material, engineering of the bullet has a huge effect. You may not like the results you have gotten with solid copper bullets, but most rifle bullets have some jacket if you're over 2000 fps muzzle velocity, so pure lead would not work very well? Give copper a chance, some day people will wonder why anybody ever put lead in high performance rifle bullets.

For a fun hypothetical, what if you could get a .308 cal bullet of similar weight to the bullet B.W.E. used but with a G1 BC of 0.616? Rather than 0.484? It looks like B.W.E. started his bullet at about 2700 fps, if we up the BC to 0.616 we get an impact velocity of 1941 fps at 650 yards, and 1481 ft-lb of energy compared to 1237 ft-lb. That would probably be even more effective, what do you think?

Fun to think about, and such bullets do exist :)

Thanks for sharing B.W.E.!

Ghost said:
Great work and hell of shot at 650 yards.which scope where you using.

Thank you! I was using the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40 w/ Mildot BDC. I don't use the BDC... I prefer the elevation turret and have everything I need to know printed on a small card inside the scope cap. The scope tracks beautifully, and I can get 1st shot hits at 200, then 300, 400, 500, 600 sequentially on 6" steel targets.

Here was my shooting position...Shot prone across the valley onto the opposite hillside. One shot... BANG...THWACK. Then my brother-in-law and dad both say "he's down" and my brother-in-law says "and he aint getting up." This was my first game animal...and it was perfect!

Attachments

• IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
B W E said:
Ghost said:
Great work and hell of shot at 650 yards.which scope where you using.

Thank you! I was using the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40 w/ Mildot BDC. I don't use the BDC... I prefer the elevation turret and have everything I need to know printed on a small card inside the scope cap. The scope tracks beautifully, and I can get 1st shot hits at 200, then 300, 400, 500, 600 sequentially on 6" steel targets.

Here was my shooting position...Shot prone across the valley onto the opposite hillside. One shot... BANG...THWACK. Then my brother-in-law and dad both say "he's down" and my brother-in-law says "and he aint getting up." This was my first game animal...and it was perfect!
Great shooting BWE, and thanks for the added detail. I have the same scope (mildot only, no BDC), but I have found the clicks to be about 0.4 MOA rather than 0.25 as advertised. For that reason, I have used holdover rather than the turrets. How does yours compare, and how does it do on a box test?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu