NWTF Meeting Jan 22nd, 2019

I just realized the 22nd this month is on a Tuesday. I won't be able to make the meeting in Poway.

Is there a Riverside or I.E. chapter?

Ilovesprig will be hosting a turkey hunting seminar at Bass Pro on 3/9.
I think it’s at 6pm.

Also, Try to make the Turkey Tune Up at Sutherland on 2/23. Lots of great info on turkey hunting and a chance to draw a hunt at Sutherland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nuevo
Thanks Phil,

The turkey hunting seminar at BPS starts at 10:00 am till 12:00 am.....I will have a booth there from 9:00 am till about 2:00 pm.....The event will be in the fine gun room upstairs....Calling, decoy set-up, where to go, and past turkey hunts will be discussed.

.005.JPG

local chapter meeting tonight at filippis pizza 6:30 come early enjoy some food and conversation.

I apologize for having to take off early. Wife was freaking out because she had a 8 pm deadline and the internet stopped working.

It was good seeing everyone for the little while I was there! I am going to attempt to recruit a few guys for the turkey tune up as well.

Just my opinion but I even like #4 shot.
But that was with lead. Non lead will take practice. 5 or 6.
Shotguns must be steel shot approved.
No older shotguns not made for steel shot , barrel will rupture.
What about 4 a remington 870 express super magnum pump action? How can I know what my barrel ( shotgun) can handle?

What about 4 a remington 870 express super magnum pump action? How can I know what my barrel ( shotgun) can handle?
Best to ask Remington themselves. Is it adjustable choke
Or built-in to the barrel.
However if is fairly new should be good. What year was it mfg?
My Winchester model (1950) auto
Is no bueno. Now I need a new backup. Full choke is no good.
With steel shot.

Reactions: "Relentless"

The 870 Express Super Mags come with Rem choke system....It should have come with at least a modified....Turkey chokes for this gun are readily available at BPS or most Turners....I recommend a Primos Jellyhead for turkeys.

ps....If your gun came with a standard full....That would probably be good enough with Hevi-Shot or TSS shells.

Pull the choke.. it's most likely a Mod Rem Choke, which should be ok for non-lead but double check with Remington. Just don't run non-lead through a lead full choke, etc., as others have said.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: "Relentless"
Since were talking about steel shot and barrels, I have an older Citori (1979) which I love to shoot. It doesn’t have choke tubes, the barrels are fixed (modified and full). What would any of you think about that one? Is it destined for targets and out of state hunts as of July?

Pull the choke.. it's most likely a Mod Rem Choke, which should be ok for non-lead but double check with Remington. Just don't run non-lead through a lead full choke, etc., as others have said.

Yes mod choke but was thinking a little tighter choke just 4 further distance

Since were talking about steel shot and barrels, I have an older Citori (1979) which I love to shoot. It doesn’t have choke tubes, the barrels are fixed (modified and full). What would any of you think about that one? Is it destined for targets and out of state hunts as of July?
I'd say you got yourself a dedicated trap gun there.

My thoughts are this.
Research by going to the manufacturers web page, and ask them
The mod choke might be ok with steel. Full choke is not. Might be
Ok with hevi shot.
But don't rely on hearsay.
Make sure it is safe to shoot steel.
It was designed to shoot lead.
Verify with the manufacturer.

Reactions: Nuevo
I'd say you got yourself a dedicated trap gun there.

I just had a friend have his 2 pigeon grade Winchester 101's bored out to modified in the top barrel that were both full chokes....No reason to leave at full with the total requirement of steel shot....Modified choke will do everything you need with lead as well, if you want to shoot it in other states with lead....Modified is considered full in steel....Another thing I learned is that Hevi-Shot with the bigger pellets (2's & B's) patterned better at 40-50 with the modified choke (duck & goose loads)

I think the cost is around $85.00 at Duncan's Gun Works in San Marcos.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu