Old Mossberg 500

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
I have an old Mossberg 500 in 410 that I used during my first dove season. I would like to hunting with it this year, but its a full choke. Do I need to buy bismuth for it?

In my opinion, yes. The .410 full choke is like shooting a 10mm pistol, really tight choke. I think steel would turn in into a cylinder bore after a few rounds.

Steve: You know a lot more about shotguns than I do---what is your take?

Two reason I would not shoot steel. Old and full choke. Just take it to Az. and shoot lead.

Two reason I would not shoot steel. Old and full choke. Just take it to Az. and shoot lead.

I think this is the best answer....My classic cherry wood Rem 870 has pretty much been put away forever...Just can't justify shooting it with 20 gauge steel ammo readily available and better ballistically.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu