Old School and local

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Here is a photo of my first goose. What is cool about this is it was shot in my back yard (Bonita). As kids we would watch the geese come off of Sweetwater Lake and head into the wheat fields of Bonita.

A few years went by and my buddy and I thought, why don't we hunt these things (we were 14 years old and had been contemplating since the age of 12). One evening we decided to talk to my buddies dad and he referred us to his friend Wally. We got a ride over to Wally's that night and he proceeded to tell us what to do. He gave us 43 waxed fold out cardboard decoys made by Henrietta Decoy Company circa 1950's (know today as G&H). He had us lay in the wheat under burlap sacks amongst the decoy spread. As we left his house he said (and I will never forget) "go get um' boys" "You will get um".

Well we did just that the next day! In fact, we each shot a bird and each bird was banded. It is a day I will cherish for a lifetime!

For you old school motocross riders - take notice of the JT Racing t-shirt...

Attachments

• First.jpg
    First.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 78
John,

That's a classic pic.........14 years old and a 'stache?..........lol

I have great memories of my 1st geese as well...........Things you don't forget............

I must say...that bird started an obsession that not only cost me a small fortune but also created a bond with a few folks that will last a lifetime.

Something I will never regret.

My 1st honker and snows in the same day.......1970.......The location was where Union Trac is today before it was Sonny Bono NWR.......The land was owned by John Elmore. I was on the firing line with a friend, when I guy asks me if I wanted to hunt in the field ditch with him. Said he was the owner......Knowing little of hunting geese. I was shooting my Charles Daly O/U with 00 buck.......The shot on the honker wasn't all that far and I killed him with one pellet to the chest......I changed to lead 4's for the snows (6). Literally, there were 1000's coming in.......Definitely a day to remember.

Attachments

• 1st honker union trac dec1970[1].jpg
    1st honker union trac dec1970[1].jpg
    25 KB · Views: 64

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu