OnX map question d16

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
What does the yellow color mean. Doing some map scouting and the Vista irrigation district looks interesting. But it says it's public land. Can I get some clarity on this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180630-223738.png
    Screenshot_20180630-223738.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
I know of at least two areas in d16 that onx shows as being blm but are in fact preserves. I would suggest following up on areas to make sure they are in fact blm. Only way i found out they were preserves was to go check the area on foot.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Onx is by far the best tool for hunting available. Found a D16spot I thought would hold deer last week on ONX hikes in yesterday with my kid and we were seeing deer and deer sign all morning not to mention a flowing natural spring. ONX is completely up to date I have not experienced any problems with boundaries, preserves etc. I have spots from the border all the way to temecula because of ONX. If you do see a problem email ONX and they will fix it. I sent them an access discrepancy from AZ last year and they fixed it.

The issue with reserves in San Diego is more than likely that City of SD land is light yellow and BLM is dark yellow.

I truly believe with ONX and some of the other online tools available that if you can’t find deer you are not trying. I have at least 100 pins from D16 on my ONX screen it is an incredible tool. With that said nothing beats boots on the ground and eyes behind glass. Waste some gas and you will find more spots than you can hunt.

Used OnX Maps today scouting for deer....I can tell you, it is damn accurate....We found a number of places where we've never hunted before. (actually did in 1974)….I know there's way more areas to hunt, than most people have time.

What's the sense of having Onx if it's not up to date monthly? Those preserves didn't just show up overnight.
ONX is an awesome tool, but you would be foolish to just rely on one source. I always check my spots against the county assesor data. That is where ONX gets their information. You have to remember ONX does this all across the nation. Some of the data they pull in is from small counties and some counties they cant even get data for. I bet some of the larger counties have some sort of data feed that they send ONX with some sort of regularity, but I think ONX updates once a year or so.

As Truduct said, you can also report a map issue and ONX will research it and push an update if accurate. I have actually held off on asking ONX to update until after the hunting season, but that is just the hunter in me. Ha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TRICER
. I have actually held off on asking ONX to update until after the hunting season, but that is just the hunter in me. Ha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thanks exactly what I was thinking as I read your post (hunting minds think alike).

Thanks for input guys. I have every map I can find, I transfer coordinates to them from Google Earth (manually) to see if the area I like is legal.
I am cheap and skeptical by nature, but you guys always help me spend money...Wisely ;)

Do you have to buy OnX for each state, or do you buy it once and it works in all states ??

Do you have to buy OnX for each state, or do you buy it once and it works in all states ??

they have 2 opstions
unlimited to one state or unimited access to all states

they have several plans the one state plan is around 29.99 and with a promo code you can get it to 23 bucks and the unlimited one is either 14.99/month or you can pay the whole year in advance for 99.99

get tool to start with.

So is it's public land but a city owns it (ex. City of San Diego etc) I can't hunt there?

It can be city or county land, but for the most part you can not hunt there unless the city/county gives specific permission. In some instances people sublet the land from county so that they can hunt it (aka Vista Irrigation District)

County shooting ordinances are totally different than city ordinances (& cities can be different)....There are areas where shooting on county lands is OK under special circumstances....Pretty much no city allows shooting of any kind....The exceptions would be the San Diego City hunting programs for Sutherland Lake (turkey) and Barrett Lake (waterfowl).

To be safe, BLM, CNF, and wildlife areas are your legal hunting lands.

Onx is by far the best tool for hunting available. Found a D16spot I thought would hold deer last week on ONX hikes in yesterday with my kid and we were seeing deer and deer sign all morning not to mention a flowing natural spring. ONX is completely up to date I have not experienced any problems with boundaries, preserves etc. I have spots from the border all the way to temecula because of ONX. If you do see a problem email ONX and they will fix it. I sent them an access discrepancy from AZ last year and they fixed it.

The issue with reserves in San Diego is more than likely that City of SD land is light yellow and BLM is dark yellow.

I truly believe with ONX and some of the other online tools available that if you can’t find deer you are not trying. I have at least 100 pins from D16 on my ONX screen it is an incredible tool. With that said nothing beats boots on the ground and eyes behind glass. Waste some gas and you will find more spots than you can hunt.

I agree, ONX is an awesome tool, its helped me find no less than 5 new spots this year alone I wouldnt have thought about. I will continue to purchase it every year as it a tremendous help in locating new spots, but you still have to make sure it is correct. I just wanted to relay my experience in double checking the ONX info because of the preserve issues I found. Here are screenshots of one the areas. ONX clearly shows Capitan Open Space Preserve as BLM. My CNF map thru Avenza maps app and my paper maps show it is clearly Capitan Preserve. I will say that I havent found any issues so far with lands labeled as CNF .

Attachments

• blm1.jpg
    blm1.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 17
  • blm2.jpg
    blm2.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 17
I agree, ONX is an awesome tool, its helped me find no less than 5 new spots this year alone I wouldnt have thought about. I will continue to purchase it every year as it a tremendous help in locating new spots, but you still have to make sure it is correct. I just wanted to relay my experience in double checking the ONX info because of the preserve issues I found. Here are screenshots of one the areas. ONX clearly shows Capitan Open Space Preserve as BLM. My CNF map thru Avenza maps app and my paper maps show it is clearly Capitan Preserve. I will say that I havent found any issues so far with lands labeled as CNF .
thanks for the info. I need to double check some of my waypoints. I had that one marked "scout". haha

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu