Opener anxiety. Any advice?

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
This will be my first year hunting with a rifle and I decided to go during the opener. I hunted by myself with a bow last year and earlier this year, so now I am going solo with a rifle. I have done the best I can to prepare with the time and resources I have.

I have scouted different areas in person, I have seen game in a couple of places, I have study the terrain, marked my way in and out, and developed a plan as I will be making my way in the dark for a couple of miles.

As it relates to gear, I feel am well prepared with a bag that weighs 30lbs including my rifle. Ready to skin, quarter and possibly debone a deer and bring it back to base should I get lucky. I have sighted my rifle and zeroed it at 150yrds and I will be practicing shots at 200yrds at the range in the next couple of days.

I continue having doubts about the spot where I decided I will hunt. When I hunted it with a bow I thought it was perfect for a rifle hunt offering some open area with possible bedding areas food and water nearby, and I did not see people's footprints. But the more I think about it the more I feel i will not be the only one hunting there...I feel like if I found it, others will too or some folks already hunt the area, If that is the case my biggest concern is safety, I don't want to find out there was another dude on the other side I never saw. I think I will wear an orange cap as much as I hate to be seen when I am hunting, in this case I think it makes sense.

I really have no expectations. My focus is not to get hurt, gun safety for me and for others and have a good time

I will be in the area for a couple of days and although I could have hunted on a weekday i am choosing to go on a weekend because I want to see what is like..some people say the opener can be good some others say thanks but no thanks...perhaps the pressure will push the deer my way..I don't know. Maybe I see nothing and I take the longest nap..lol.

Any advice related to safety, strategy, or such is welcome.

How was your DIY public land hunt your first time? What did you learn?

Last edited:
Reactions: duck-boy
My opinion is don't stress on all that stuff, chances are you won't be alone no matter how far in you get, make sure of what you are shooting at and of your backstop when taking a shot, if there are others around you try to position yourself to be able to take advantage if they bust something your way, a blaze hat is a good idea if it makes you feel better, carry binoculars, don't use your scope to glass with, naps while out hunting are great and most of all, have fun.

I've only ever hunted public, I cut my teeth in D16/19 and now live and hunt in Colorado but travel back there when I can to hunt with my Dad. Public land hunting is what you make of it so try to make the best of it that you can.

...overthinking can have a guy thinking about stuff alot..and I agree..wear some orange in the public land...there are some whackos that sit still in guillie suits waitng for anything that moves...be the deer.

Based on your post you are more prepared and more togather than many experienced deer hunters. I live and hunt in Northern California so I know nothing about the area you are hunting. However from my many years of hunting public land on opening weekend is that it’s like a zoo Out there. Way many hunters and some real jerks who don’t have a clue. So just be careful and cautious. Wear plenty of blaze orange , hat , shirt, vest, jacket. Deer don’t see blaze orange like we do, it’s thought blaze orange to them looks like a blob of brown or gray. Wear camo pattern blaze orange so youll blend in more and won’t look like a large gray blob that doesn’t fit in. You have a better chance to shoot one opening weekend than later in the season. The survivors learn quickly opening weekend to avoid people and become more wary. Some think the dumb ass deer get shot opening weekend and the smart ones survive. I personally no longer hunt public land opening weekend, it just got too crowded for my comfort. But that’s just me, I hunted opening weekend many many years without problems.
The other piece of safety advice all ready given is never glass with your rifle scope. Use a good pair of binoculars. This is where you’ll find having quality optics is worth every penny of the the high price you pay.
So take a deep breath, relax and just go out there and enjoy the hunting experience, and enjoy nature and all its wonders.
Be sure to post and let us know how your hunt goes. Good luck and good hunting.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu