Optics and Distances for 'Yotes

Bi0hazrd

Mar 16, 2015
OK here are some noob questions, but here goes:

I wanted to get a feel for what distances I could expect to shoot when hunting coyote in SoCal, and what factors could influence it. From the reading I have done so far, the focus tends to be pretty close up (hence the recommendation for a shotgun), but with as wide-open as the desert is I could imagine taking shots at range... what distances are usual?

Could a 3-9x work with a set of back-up irons?

Any recommendations on a particular optic (brand, magnification, dollar range, etc.).

Essentially while I do have a shotgun, I'd like to stick with my AR and not lug around two long guns; I prefer traveling light.

Most my shooting is feet to 200yards. Farther sometimes but there hard to
See

If you already have a 3-9 scope. it'll get the job done. If you're looking to buy a scope. Look for one that's 2.5-10 or 3-12.
Also look for ones with range compensating reticle. Like Nikon's BDC reticle. That way you wont have to make adjustments to elevation when there on the move. I know Nikon make's the p223 that is designed for AR platforms & that round.

Now just for me, When I only bring 1 gun it's always my shotgun. I'll be limited to around 50-60 yards, But that's the fun of calling Coyotes. Lets see how close they get.

If your target is far enough out for you to worry about bullet drop, and it's moving, are you going to squeeze the trigger? It's worth adding that nearly all reticles are in the second focal plane so unless you have an app or software to make the correction (like Zeiss, for example), you only have one magnification (zoom) at which the reticle marks are accurate. Bottom line for me is that if the range is within maximum point blank range, I use the cross hair. Anything outside that has to be nearly stationary for me to figure holdover and windage. In that case, BDC, mil or MOA or any other marks will do with some practice.

Thanks guys; I already have a 3-9x that I could use so it sounds like that can get me started. As much as I like having excuses to get new gear, I would rather put that money into gas and boot leather at this point.

Since you already have the 3-9, just use it. John recommended at 2-7 Leupold VX-1 for my AR and I've never been happier. Most shots on coyotes will be under 100 yards and you will be using the lowest power. If they hold up at distance, you will have time to crank up the power. My AR is sighted in for 200 yards, so the trajectory of the bullet is within 1" of the line of sight out to 225 yards. I just put the crosshairs on it and pull the trigger.

hey man I shoot using a Zeiss terra 4-12 !!!!! and all i can say is that it is the best scope under $500 i have ever looked through, i have used leupolds, burris, bushnell, meopta, and a few other scopes but for $380 with no tax and free shipping from cameralandny.com you can't go wrong....... i mean they are soooo clear and incredible look up reviews and youtube videos on the zeiss terra...... it also uses an online ballistics chart for there bullet drop compensator and i have tat it to 400 yards and it has held true for me !!!!!!!

Or go into Fine Firearms and they will get you set up no doubt... tons of info and knowledge there

Good luck

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu