Optics suggestion

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
I'm new to hunting and picked up some Bushnell 12x50 Pacifica guide binos for scouting but was curious on peoples opinions of 12x50 vs 10x42 binoculars. Just curious of what some seasoned hunters would recommend and why.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
As Lungpopper suggest and I will add this.
Vortex, Leopold, or better.
Or the best you can afford.
Bushnell are ok but not as good.
Depends on your pocket book.
I am old school and prefer to scan with my binos.
I never needed a spotting scope, but
Changed my mind. Good quality scope is a plus with a decent tripod.
This question comes up often. Do a search on these boards, 80% of your time will be scanning the hills.
Read the post in big game hunting.
How do see so many deer.
Welcome and best of luck
Longbow

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
10’s are better if you are going to hold them. 12’s I would recommend getting a tripod to mount them on.
Just wondering if you did any research before you bought your binoculars?

Well I listen to a few hunting podcasts where they've covered binoculars and to be honest I got them because they were on sale at big 5 for $60. I know it's best to invest in higher quality gear so I trying to save up for that. In the meantime I really need to get my butt scouting. This is my first year hunting and I haven't had the chance do really any scouting..This Friday I plan to buy OnX maps and try to find some areas I can do some scouting because I really don't know where to start. I don't know any hunters, that is why Im really glad I found SCH.

oh and I would eventually like to get a tripod because I heard its a great way to glass.

As Lungpopper suggest and I will add this.
Vortex, Leopold, or better.
Or the best you can afford.
Bushnell are ok but not as good.
Depends on your pocket book.
I am old school and prefer to scan with my binos.
I never needed a spotting scope, but
Changed my mind. Good quality scope is a plus with a decent tripod.
This question comes up often. Do a search on these boards, 80% of your time will be scanning the hills.
Read the post in big game hunting.
How do see so many deer.
Welcome and best of luck
Longbow

I appreciate the suggestion of the thread! Definitely has some good info! Had some great pics from lungpopper in there. Learning stuff every time I open a thread!

10x42's for everyday hunting....I see Vortex Crossfires on sale all the time for just over 100 bucks....I use them for turkey hunting because they're lighter than my 10x42 Swarvo's...and they're guaranteed for life, just like all their products....2 cents.

Welcome to SCH

You have the 12’s so try and make the best of what you have.
Try standing holding the Binos up and glassing, then look into some shadows at a few 100 yards away. Since you don’t have a tripod try getting a short broom handle or something that you can sit down and use to help steady the Binos. Also try To brace your arms on something steady to try and take as much movement away as possible. Look back into the same shadow. You should be able to see into it and pick out more detail than just standing and holding them.
A tripod will take all the movement out and your Binos to another level.
The higher power magnification brings objects in so close that it’s hard to hold steady. If you can’t hold steady you can’t see the small details that you will be looking for.
Plenty of gear junkies on here to answer your questions.

Last edited:
10x42's for everyday hunting....I see Vortex Crossfires on sale all the time for just over 100 bucks....I use them for turkey hunting because they're lighter than my 10x42 Swarvo's...and they're guaranteed for life, just like all their products....2 cents.

Welcome to SCH

You know I think I might return my pair because if I spent $60 I'm about half way there to a pair of those Crossfires and I have heard great things about Vortex.

And thanks lungpopper those are some great tips for glassing! I will definitely try that out

X2 on those Crossfire's, light weight, clear , not to expensive. I have it.
Now if I could afford the vortex spotting scope, I would be set.
For tripod I have camera tripod that is light weight, yet very rigid. With a
Redfield spotting scope. The tripod it came with is junk. Since I was mainly bow hunting a spotting scope for my style is not as necessary.
But switching back to rifle the game has changed.
Best
Longbow

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
My kid uses the crossfire’s they are really impressive. I got his at Fine Firearms in La Mesa. If you go down there you can look through a few different pairs. Another inexpensive but good pair of binos is the Redfield 10x42. Fine Firearms has both and they will let you go outside and try them out.

I second what @Lungpopper said but instead of a broom stick I would suggest a hiking stick they are adjustable and serve mulitiple purposes. When I hunted Audad this year I used my tall Jim Shocky shooting stick but that was a different style of hunting a lot more moving and no time to set up the tri pod. Tripods or something to set your binos on are a game changer. I love sitting behind my tripod and glassing.

PS I would return those binos they are not worth your time.

I second the Jim Shockey tripod shooting stick as a quick steady fix. Sitting down I can adjust the feet for stability and get a pretty steady view with my binos. Then if you have a shot just switch out for your rifle and you're ready to blast. Also if you need to get up and move it's quick to go, and doubles as a hiking stick when I need it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am new too and got the Leupold McKenzie 10x42, took them hunting for the first time 2 weeks ago and they were clear and crisp. They are about the same price point as the vortex. I am also on a tight hunting budget. Instead of buying an expensive tripod I bought an amazonbasics tripod ($24) and a eyeski tripod adapter ($10) from amazon. The tripod worked great if you're glassing from a stool, rock, ground or standing. But if your glassing from a turkey lounger the chair gets in the way because the legs on the tripod don't spread apart very far.

I am certain everyone else in this thread knows more about hunting than I do so take their advice over mine I just wanted to throw my two cents in on saving some $$$

I am new too and got the Leupold McKenzie 10x42, took them hunting for the first time 2 weeks ago and they were clear and crisp. They are about the same price point as the vortex. I am also on a tight hunting budget. Instead of buying an expensive tripod I bought an amazonbasics tripod ($24) and a eyeski tripod adapter ($10) from amazon. The tripod worked great if you're glassing from a stool, rock, ground or standing. But if your glassing from a turkey lounger the chair gets in the way because the legs on the tripod don't spread apart very far.

I am certain everyone else in this thread knows more about hunting than I do so take their advice over mine I just wanted to throw my two cents in on saving some $$$
I use a tri pod stool. And I purchased a cheap light folding chair. I get stiff and ache in my f_ n elderly age.
I through a camo net over it.
Thinking about getting my deer stands back up.
Best
Longbow

I use a tri pod stool. And I purchased a cheap light folding chair. I get stiff and ache in my f_ n elderly age.
I through a camo net over it.
Thinking about getting my deer stands back up.
Best
Longbow

Man I appreciate everyone's info! Some great tips and advice! If You or anyone would ever be interested in mentoring a new hunter I'd gladly offer my services to anyone who might think they need help packing out a buck or gear in exchange for some first hand knowledge / experience in the outdoors...Just thought I'd put that out into the universe!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu