optics

tonyjohnson619

Dec 13, 2014
I have a ar I built and have purchased a burris mtac 1x4 with the ballistic reticule. I have not shot it past 100 yards but a lil worried at 200-300 yards it might be hard to hold a decent group for coyote hunting. I originally bought it for 3 gun style sport shooting and was wondering on opinions for using it for hunting.

No one else will be able to tell you at what range you can effectively hunt with your setup. To determine your effective hunting range for that setup I recommend you do this:

- Determine the kill zone of a coyote. For example, on deer, it's like 8-9 inches (a bit smaller for small deer, a bit bigger for bigger deer).

- Create or buy some targets of that size. Paper plates cut to size will work fine.

- Start shooting at 100 yards, then go to 150, 200, etc.

- When you can no longer put 3 or 5 shot groups into that target, every time, you have exceeded your effective range. Back it off until you find your maximum effective range.

- Forget about shooting a one inch group (or whatever) every time. You only need to be able to place the bullet in the kill zone.

I'm sure some others will have some input. But I think this is a good, basic way of determining your max effective range.

I agree with above. I use my ar for pig coyote and bob cat and deer with a 3-9 ad I never take it off 3 and I'm pretty good withen 3" out to 300 yards. Note. I do not shoot deer or hogs at 300yards with it I keep them to about 100 but the point is 3x I good for me. My wife uses a 1.75-4 and the 4 is more then Enough or her as well. now for my longer range ar10 in 243 i use that out to 500 yards with and 4-12 but stop about 9x and thats still pretty good. much more and everything shakes alot and its hard to pick up your target especially when its moving. Your results may vary.

by ballistic recital do you mean drop compensating or mil dot?

Perfect scope for coyote hunting. Awesome for dogs on the run and cranked up to 4x you will have no problem waxing dogs out to 350 yards.

Just go shoot man!

NBK said:
Perfect scope for coyote hunting. Awesome for dogs on the run and cranked up to 4x you will have no problem waxing dogs out to 350 yards.

Just go shoot man!

X2... My buddy was rocking that for a while. Just remember, whether the dogs see you or not, if you're missing, you're training them on what not to do next time. Go practice extensively so it's second nature instead of guessing. I learned that lesson the hard way and put mucho more time behind my rifle to ensure it doesn't happen again.

It is the drop compensating illuminated one.. I really like it so far out to 100 just haven't had a chance to shoot farther with it.. I'll be going out this weekend to play with some longer ranges.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu