OpticsPlanet.com buyer beware!

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Just a heads up,
I suspect OpticsPlanet.com (Northbrook, IL) of unethical practices. I don't know if they are incompetent, dishonest or both, but I suspect them of some type of fraudulent book-keeping. I had a very weird experience ordering my rifle scope from them earlier this year. I ordered a Nikon Monarch scope, then got an email that it was out of stock (the site never said it was out of stock.) I changed my order to a Buckmasters scope, was billed immediately, and after a couple of weeks' delay "due to problems with a new warehouse", I received the scope in good condition. I figured this was a on-off, and forgot about it. On August 20th, I ordered a pair of binocs and two minor items from them. Very similar experience, but this time they billed me the next day. Two weeks later, not having received the items, I called and was told there was no planned shipping date(!) Once again, "problem with the new warehouse." It took me the better part of a week and a half dozen emails to get them to cancel all my orders and refund the credit to my card.
I'm pretty angry that they could have used my bank account to reflect revenue while they had no apparent intention to send their inventory. I notified my credit card company (USAA) and the FTC, but don't know what action they'll take.
This is just a warning to any of you who might consider ordering from them.
BTW the weirdest of all is this web site and a couple of others I found, which suggest that my experience was not unique: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/OpticsPlanet-Inc/Northbrook-Illinois-60062/Optics-Planet-opticsplanetnet-OpticsPlanet-Inc-Advertises-non-stocked-items-slow-to-428661
Caveat emptor!
:mad:

I have looked at them in the past when shopping for either binos or something else, but I have always been able to beat there price somewhere else, so consequently I have never purchased from them. too bad I believe they have been around for awhile, Way too many unethical things going on as of late on all levels of business. Good info I will log that to memory.

while i always try to get my optics stuff at brick and mortar shops like FINE FIREARMS

If i do have to shop online two places pretty much rule. SWFA and Camera land. No reason to wander off to other shops, you are not going to find a better price.

As with anything in this F'ed up economy call and verify stock. You should be doing this for all big ticket things. It takes two seconds and will prevent you from getting mad if a online stock system is not up to speed with the real world.

Thanks for the replies. I did start with Fine Firearms but they don't sell binocs!
But I went on ebay and the binocs I wanted arrived yesterday.
Absolutely right, gotta pick the right store. I only posted that so others don't make the same mistake I made.

I will beat anyone price. Just let me know what your looking for any where you wound the best deal on what your looking for!

Actually Bonejour, Fine Firearms does sell binoculars. Mostly Leupold's (in stock) but we can usually get what you are looking for. The prices are competitive. Keep in mind that the lowest price is not always the best deal. We stand by all of the products sold at the store.

Come by and see us and we will do our best for you.

Back