Orange County Newbie

EJW44

May 3, 2016
New hunter in Southern Orange County looking for any other newcomers that might be interested in teaming up, doing some scouting, research, and learn from each other.

Early 40's, originally from NY, been out in California for about 10 years now. I own a Remington 700 30-06 for deer and a Remington 870 for ducks/turkey. I also have a bow but need more experience before hunting with it.

I'm open to traveling to meet up and have most weekends free or could take a day off here and there during the week.

If interested, let me know.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EJ,

Welcome to SCH.....San Diego and Imperial Counties will be your friend.....Lots of places to scout and hunt.

If you've waterfowl hunted. You should look into putting in for the 2 wildlife areas we have here in SoCal....San Jacinto and Wister.....When we get closer to the season, we'll help you thru the system of reservation draws.

ps.....Have you taken your hunter safety course yet?

EJ,

Welcome to SCH.....San Diego and Imperial Counties will be your friend.....Lots of places to scout and hunt.

If you've waterfowl hunted. You should look into putting in for the 2 wildlife areas we have here in SoCal....San Jacinto and Wister.....When we get closer to the season, we'll help you thru the system of reservation draws.

ps.....Have you taken your hunter safety course yet?

Thanks for the info! Yes, hunter safety course is complete and I have my license. No tags yet until I figure out which zones are best and most convenient to get to.

Thanks again!

Welcome,
For OC zone d15 is most convenient. Also is one of the worse if not the worst (statistically speaking). A great place to learn and get the experience. Very challenging area which turns off new hunters.

You want practice with bow theres OC Archery in Mission Viejo ($15 range fee) or Santiago Park Archery (free) in Santa Ana. I like SPA since its outdoors, free, and have targets from 15-60 yards. Theres also mile square park but they are snobs to people not wearing collars on their shirts, or colorful anodized equipment.

Thanks! Yeah, I have heard that D15 isn't very good. I might give it a shot because I'll be able to go more often. Went out scouting there using the onX Hunt app. It was pretty confusing but I'm going to keep trying. The biggest obstacle for me was finding places to park! Hahaha. I have the Adventure Pass permit but still couldn't find much parking. I'll figure it out as I keep trying I guess.

Thanks for the tips on the archery ranges. I've been to a couple (Santa Ana and Mile Square), and you're right about Mile Square, I felt like I was the only one there that was practicing to hunt.

Thanks again for the tips!

Ej,

Send me a PM.....I used to hunt pigeons a lot in the D-15.....There was a spot I used to always see deer.....Maybe there still is.....;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu