Ortega Hway?

Ortega Highway is difficult to hunt. Make sure you are NOT on the Orange County side as the majority of that is private and state park. On the Riverside County side, yes there are coyote. I almost hit one with my truck at least once a week. The terrain is VERY thick up there. Lots of hikers too. You better know exactly what is and what isn't legal if you're going to try to hunt off Ortega.

Thanks for the info, I was just curious because I've driven it before and someone along the grapevine said you can hunt it

I've tried it out there fairly recently. It is extremely difficult. The hardest part is getting off trail far enough to be able to hunt, everywhere that you can feasibly walk is considered a trail. Getting off trail consists of very thick bush. The last time I was there we managed to find a spot off trail to make a stand, after about five minutes of calling a group of hikers came into the canyon, talking, joking around and laughing at the top of their lungs. Needless to say, that spot was blown. I originally wanted to hunt there because it is close to home, but the amount of time spent hiking those trails made it not worth it. I'd rather drive somewhere farther away that doesn't require a five mile hike. My .02 cents.

I have a friend who has a spot up there some place he has taken 7 coyotes from up there so far this year.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu