Out on the (ruff) Ocean again

GUNDOGLOVER49

Aug 14, 2020
Me and a friend jumped on the Fortune for a 1.5 day trip. We went to the Osborne. Forecast was for 5' seas at 9 seconds, 8 knot winds, not. More like 7' at 5 second, 12-15 knot winds. That was AM, PM it picked up, seas got real choppy and wind picked up. With that to deal with we got 22 real nice grade YT, 16 guys, with that many lost. I lost one to damn dogs, :(. Lost one that got into kelp when we made a move from 150' water to 50'. I manage to get one to the boat around 25 lbs. Fish went from 18-35 lbs. We did a bottom grader run around noon and filled the sacks with real nice grade red and other rock fish. Three monster Lings. were caught. All Yt caught on irons YoYo fishing. We fished rock fish at 300' which was a real pain with the condition. I hit the sack before they took catch out of hold for cleaning so not photos.

Me and a friend jumped on the Fortune for a 1.5 day trip. We went to the Osborne. Forecast was for 5' seas at 9 seconds, 8 knot winds, not. More like 7' at 5 second, 12-15 knot winds. That was AM, PM it picked up, seas got real choppy and wind picked up. With that to deal with we got 22 real nice grade YT, 16 guys, with that many lost. I lost one to damn dogs, :(. Lost one that got into kelp when we made a move from 150' water to 50'. I manage to get one to the boat around 25 lbs. Fish went from 18-35 lbs. We did a bottom grader run around noon and filled the sacks with real nice grade red and other rock fish. Three monster Lings. were caught. All Yt caught on irons YoYo fishing. We fished rock fish at 300' which was a real pain with the condition. I hit the sack before they took catch out of hold for cleaning so not photos.
please advise your yoyo technique , good times

Dropping to bottom then fast retrieve 10 +- cranks up, then right back down, repeat. works best to cast away from boat then to bottom. Tady 9 or any iron that size. Bigger irons were being ignored. No bait YT were caught.

He could have thought, look at this beautiful planet I have created, I think I'll have the oceans remain calm all the time.
You guys should have gave him an invite.....He is know for calming the seas and filling boats with fish.
I am gonna get out next week 6/3 hopefully it’s not gonna be a ruff ride like this one. Good job on the YT those are some good size fish. Nice to see some good YT feel like the quality has been down the last couple of seasons.

• Haha
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Dropping to bottom then fast retrieve 10 +- cranks up, then right back down, repeat. works best to cast away from boat then to bottom. Tady 9 or any iron that size. Bigger irons were being ignored. No bait YT were caught.
Thank you for the reply. Mileage will vary. I have not had good luck with irons
Few hits but not so many. But I seen guys over the years nail them. So I figured I was not doing it correctly. I had better luck with fly lining live bait. And trolling jigs.
True story 1 st run back in the 80's . There would be a jig strike and I would drop the line over and everyone would get Hits except me. After this happening twice I ask the deck hand why I wasn't getting hook ups. He said as soon as there was a jig strike get that line out as far as possible so when the fish follow the hooked fish. The bait would be in the school. The rest was history. I caught my fair share of Albies, bluefin, and yellowfin.

I don't miss the rough water... that's why I'm going out on the San Diego on the 4th. Supposed to be flat calm... the weatherman said.

The days of looking at the fish counts in the LA Times, driving to San Diego, looking for the high boat count and buying a ticket... are no more. If you don't book two weeks out, you ain't goin'... and it's only May. Ed F

Reactions: TRICER
I don't miss the rough water... that's why I'm going out on the San Diego on the 4th. Supposed to be flat calm... the weatherman said.

The days of looking at the fish counts in the LA Times, driving to San Diego, looking for the high boat count and buying a ticket... are no more. If you don't book two weeks out, you ain't goin'... and it's only May. Ed F
We will be on the San Diego on the 3rd. I will try and save a few fish for you.

We will be on the San Diego on the 3rd. I will try and save a few fish for you.

I hope we fish the Coronados... I don't want to wrastle with big Bluefin. I expect a full report when you get off the boat. Ed F

Reactions: TRICER
Regardless of weather sounds like a great trip congrats on the YT. I went out of Ventura on Wednesday for bottom fish but the skipper decided he wanted to chase White Sea bass at Anacapa. So we spent almost all of the morning chasing them with only a few hits and no fish. Then we started fishing for bottom fish for a few hours but they weren't really biting. So caught a few nothing spectacular but a good day on the water. Next trip staying home and will go out of SD for the Coronados and chase whatever is hitting there.

Regardless of weather sounds like a great trip congrats on the YT. I went out of Ventura on Wednesday for bottom fish but the skipper decided he wanted to chase White Sea bass at Anacapa. So we spent almost all of the morning chasing them with only a few hits and no fish. Then we started fishing for bottom fish for a few hours but they weren't really biting. So caught a few nothing spectacular but a good day on the water. Next trip staying home and will go out of SD for the Coronados and chase whatever is hitting there.
Coronados=Yellow tail. generally not the big boys but, great eating. I need to get on some White Sea bass. got to have squid for those.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu