Pig Hunt range workout

Moves

Jun 1, 2012
Anaheim, CA
www.thesurfaris.com
IMG_7681.jpg

Got to meet up at the range with Entropy at Burro Canyon Shooting Range yesterday! Super nice, low key guy! He has a pig hunt coming up and needed to zero in his Win Mod 70 in .270 Winchester. I needed to shoot my FIRST rifle handloads in .308 Winchester. The temp was perfect, the wind was stiff and we had a great time working out our guns. Mark the RO at Burro was great as always.

I handloaded Hornady V-Max 110 grain bullets. I have 110 grain Hornady GMX's for hunting. I was very surprised that the recoil felt almost the same between 110 and 150 grainers. I was hoping for a powder puff for training purposes and a kids load, but no such luck. They did shoot pretty great though and most important, the gun didn't blow up in my face!! #winning I am working up the ladder with Ramshot Tac powder but only got about half way through. I shot from the prone off a backpack and sandsock rear support. I have my gun zeroed at 200 yards and shot at 100. Here is a pic of the best grain load so far.
IMG_7691.jpg

Hi Moves
Interested about your reloads.
For years I shot 308 Winchester silver tip with 110, 125 and 150 gn.
I experimented with each of the
Above. I had poor results with the 110 and very good with 125 and 150. Practice at 100, 200, and 300 yards. Except I read the 110 GN was reduced load. Due to extreme pressure. If and I mean if I remember correctly.
The 125 shot very flat. And did great.

Reactions: Moves
Hey Longbowhunter! Thanks for reaching out.

Yeah, with the screwed CA ammo supply and non-toxic requirements I bit the bullet :p and got a Lee Classic Turret Press with Lee .308 Pacesetter dies. Ramshot Tac powder, according to the Lee manual can move the 110 grainers between 3095 and 33366 fps. I'm calling that 2900 and 3200 in my Tikka T3X Lite. So yeah, I'm hoping to flatten things out myself. I was shocked when I learned the all copper Hornady 110 GMX bullets were good for deer.

Concerning the 125 grain, the 110 GMX b.c. is .305 and the 125 goes DOWN to only .295! Then goes back up to .415 with the 150 grain. So, I don't know what the deal is with that...
IMG_6565.jpg

Reactions: longbowhunter2
That's interesting stats.
Maybe the newer design of the Barnes is the deal
You would think the smaller bullet would tumble. But not so
May be bc and Density.

Just to add most of my kills has be with the 150 GN then the 125 GN.
My objective was to do less meat damage. The furthest I had deer run was 100 yards then drop on double lung shot. Where it did the least amount of meat damage.

That group isn't that great, my guess is that your barrel has to fast of a twist for the 110g bullets. I would stick with the 150's or possible the 130g ttsx if you really want to go lighter. With hand loads you should be able to get that thing way under 1". Also I highly recommend a led sled when ladder testing loads that way you can take as much human error out of it as possible. Most ranges will rent you one for like $5.

I am going to load 110g TTSX for my new 308 project but that barrel is a 1in14 twist so it wont stabilize the heavier stuff well. I would guess your barrel is a 1in10 or11 twist and that is what is causing the wide groups. The 110g will be flying fast but you are going to lose a lot of kinetic energy down range and experience a lot more drift at distances over 400 yards.

Please take this post as constructive. Hand loading is all part of the fun it is super addicting and very rewarding when you start taking game with bullets you loaded. @BBH has a few great 308 loads worked up hopefully he will chime in on this thread.

Hi Truduct,

Thanks for you constructive words. My rifle is a Tikka T3X Lite with 1-11 twist.

I'm not technically "laddering" I'm just going up from 45.7 - 50.8 grains of Ram Tac in half grain increments and seeing how each 5 cartridges groups. So far I've done 45.7, 46.2, 46.7 and 47.2 grains. As far as the lead sled goes, I want to know which bullet shoots best in field positions (prone, seated, kneeling, off-hand). I want my human error to be a part of it so I know my range limitations. So far that is 2-3 inches at 100 yds and 4-7 inches at 200 yds if I'm in a prone supported position. So, If I went deer hunting today, I know my max range shot is 250 yards tops to stay in an 8 inch kill zone.

Once I work up a load that is the most accurate in the prone supported; then I will practice the other field positions to find my range limitations on those. So, if say I have to be up to a kneeling position to get above the grass, I know from my practice that my worst shooting is 8 inches at 100 yards, that I have to get that close to the deer to take an ethical shot. Am I off-base here with this strategy??

yeah it was quite a nice day, finally got to shoot my rifle it has been almost a year. Sighting the .270 went alright, but then it started shooting high. I am going to have to go back and get some more practice and make sure it is alright before I get ready for my pig hunt. I shot about 30~35 rounds which is a lot to shoot on the .270 for me, so hopefully next time things will clear up. It was definitely a good experience, and the range is very nice. Thanks to Moves for showing me the range!!! very nice guy for sure.

I had a blast and to be honest to you all I am not so much of a gun person. I truly love hunting and really enjoy shooting my bow more than anything else. Being with Moves in the range helped me see things from a different perspective, his interest in reloading and shooting his rifle definitely made the experience more joyful. I think I'll be investing more on my rifle and putting a little extra time on the range from now on, have it be more enjoyable and not so much of a chore.

Thanks!

Entrophy and moves
Start close say at 25yards then work out from there.
I like to bore sight visually or red laser adapter take one shot then adjust.
Untill it is zeroed out at
25 yards, then hundred yards.
Mark sure the scope rings are torque with inch torque wrench.
Besure scope is level and parallel.
Best
LB

Entrophy and moves
Start close say at 25yards then work out from there.
I like to bore sight visually or red laser adapter take one shot then adjust.
Untill it is zeroed out at
25 yards, then hundred yards.
Mark sure the scope rings are torque with inch torque wrench.
Besure scope is level and parallel.
Best
LB

how well have those laser adapter work for you? I've thought about buying one for a long time. We bore scoped it and zeroed at 50 then move to 100. Next time I can start at 25. Make sure it is on spot.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu