Pigeon Massacre

HunterBK

Apr 18, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Had an awesome experience pigeon hunting!

After getting our limit of dove on opening morning, me and the three other guys in my group were driving away from our hunting spot. We spotted a flock of 200+ pigeons in a hay field. As you can see from the background of the pic, the hay was cut down and there wasn't any cover. We still managed to sneak out into the field and get within 20-30 yards.

All four of us were loaded with 6 shot. Our first shots were aimed at the front of the flock while they were still grounded. The birds quickly took to the air and, I can't speak for the rest of the group, but my second shot was just in the general direction of the pigeons, haha. I had a hard time drawing down on a particular bird because there were so damn many of them! By the time I took my third shot the flock was spread out enough that I was able to draw down on my bead and pick off a single pigeon.

As you can imagine, the result of four guys unloading three rounds of 6 shot each is complete, utter carnage... All I saw was a handful of dead birds and a handful of wounded birds. The wounded pigeons were still flapping their wings on the ground and acted like decoys. The flock ended up circling around and presenting us with the opportunity to unload another 3 shells each!

All told, we got 17 pigeons in about a half a minute. It was a ton of fun and a great memory!

Attachments

• pigeon.jpg
    pigeon.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
haha, I was wondering if someone would notice the transformers shirts.

We aren't sponsored, just really bad at packing for a hunting trip apparently. None of us remembered our camo shirts and the Walmart in Brawley didn't have any adult sizes. We had to go with the next best thing - Camo Transformers shirts.

HunterBK said:

We aren't sponsored, just really bad at packing for a hunting trip apparently. None of us remembered our camo shirts and the Walmart in Brawley didn't have any adult sizes. We had to go with the next best thing - Camo Transformers shirts.

hahahaha... hilarious!!!

HunterBK said:

Haha! We've hunted(and limited each time) dove in white T's and khaki shorts for years...camo is overrated.

Good shooting! ;D

HunterBK said:

It's things like that that make a good hunt even better. Years from now you will get together and laugh about the shirts.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu