PLEASE READ HUNTING REGS!

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
And know where you are!.....There is no excuse these days for getting a citation for trespassing or not knowing the protocol while deer hunting (unless your a poacher or just plain stupid).

I got a text Saturday from a close friend who had a friend get 4, yes 4, misdemeanors after he shot a buck on VID land.....Hunting on private property, no tag on the deer (& it was gutted), illegal possession of game, and no signature on his hunting license.....The deer, his hunting license, and rifle were all confiscated.

Folks this guy will need an attorney and it's going to cost him 1000's of dollars.....He will also lose his deer hunting PRIVLEDGES for a year!

ps....Last night while coming home from hunting, Jacob and I saw a buck in the back of a pick-up in a residential area.....I back up and talked to him (nice enough & lots of family around).....No tag on deer and he had driven with it like that.....Went back to the house a few minutes later and he was gone.....I told the people there to tell him to fill it out.....Girlfriend says, Want if it's on private property?.....Doesn't matter.

READ THE FRIGGEN REGS AND INVEST IN ONX MAPS!

Last edited:
Reading this post is infuriating! Both instances are way past stupid and excuses. That is flat out poaching. But who am I to judge...888-334-caltip, 888-334-2258, and even text 847411

Reactions: Bonejour
I have the Caltip app on my phone. I glassed up some guys hunting in a preserve Saturday took a picture and sent it to cal tip with location. All anonymous super easy to do. If I am gonna sit my butt on a rock for a 6 hours waiting for a deer to cross onto public I am sure not gonna sit by quietly while someone poaches. Steve I take it the guy wasn't an MCC member?

Reactions: Bonejour
On the subject of hunting regulations, I thought I read in last years regulations that you cannot hunt within 400 or 700 some yards of an artificial watering hole used for livestock or wildlife. I didn't see it in this years regulations. Can anyone clarify this?

On the subject of hunting regulations, I thought I read in last years regulations that you cannot hunt within 400 or 700 some yards of an artificial watering hole used for livestock or wildlife. I didn't see it in this years regulations. Can anyone clarify this?
Just tried looking this up and looking like the regs got a face lift. If you go to the regs that you download it seems more complete but I also do not see the water hole reg that was once there.
Your 400 yard number I believe is for baited areas. But if I remember correctly the artificial watering holes was 200 yards.

Im not sure if that reg was omitted on purpose but I know I'm guilty of breaking it. I've hunted areas several times before I realize I'm in violation. These holes are well hidden (understandable) and quite frankly I have no clue I'm doing something illegal. It's similar to not stopping in an intersection when the stop sign is hidden.

Try this:
https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Do...ta=(sc.Search)&t_T1=14&t_T2=730&t_S1=CA+ADC+s

Wow. No words here. Shaky people out there. And if any body reads this post. Please. Please make sure of your target. And never use a rifle scope to locate or verify the game. Talking to some fellow hunters. Some hunter had used his scope on an other Hunter
Bad news. Very serious error doing this.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Drew,

He was not an MCC member......Zones 1-6 are closed because of SDGE putting in new poles.....My understanding is they heard the shot and a VID patrol also found him.....Frank & Janice were on the scene too.....I don't feel the guy was a full blown poacher.....Just not aware of where he was.....The rest is just stupid stuff.

With all due respect, I believe it comes down to more than just reading the hunting regs. Trespassing is trespassing, poaching is poaching, pure and simple. I believe individuals who engage in this type of behavior know full well what they're doing, and they deserve everything they have coming to them. The most infuriating thing about this kind of situation is that it paints all of us, especially those of us who do it right and play by the rules, in a bad light. You can read the regs all you want, but if you don't behave ethically, than what's the point? Ethics is doing the right thing even when no one else is watching.

On Edit: I do concede your point that if you intend to hunt, then it is mandatory that you are informed. Ignorance is not a valid excuse.

Last edited:
Just tried looking this up and looking like the regs got a face lift. If you go to the regs that you download it seems more complete but I also do not see the water hole reg that was once there.
Your 400 yard number I believe is for baited areas. But if I remember correctly the artificial watering holes was 200 yards.

Im not sure if that reg was omitted on purpose but I know I'm guilty of breaking it. I've hunted areas several times before I realize I'm in violation. These holes are well hidden (understandable) and quite frankly I have no clue I'm doing something illegal. It's similar to not stopping in an intersection when the stop sign is hidden.

Try this:
https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Do...ta=(sc.Search)&t_T1=14&t_T2=730&t_S1=CA+ADC+s

Too add more confusion:

https://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/2016/07/07/shooting-deer-across-a-lake/

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Drew,

He was not an MCC member......Zones 1-6 are closed because of SDGE putting in new poles.....My understanding is they heard the shot and a VID patrol also found him.....Frank & Janice were on the scene too.....I don't feel the guy was a full blown poacher.....Just not aware of where he was.....The rest is just stupid stuff.
Did this happen this morning?

Just went back and read - Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wow. Had a guy come in the other day to get a fork validated on laguna, tag was not filled out, gave me a vague possible rec area description location of harvest, played the me no hablo so well game. Could've called DFG but I made him fill everything out (with my pen). The holes that are supposed to be punched he just filled in with ink, so I kindly punched them out for him as to finalize no future use. These hombres this day and age know the rules. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry have smart phones with the internet and Avenza or OnX Hunt. No excuse scumbags

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu