Potentially moving to California

Have you considered finding a new fiancé in Idaho?
haha a dollar for every time I heard this.

Sorry for the delayed response was driving back from our Wyoming hunt and my tapatalk crapped out on me.

Anywho... I've put up options of vacationing there from Idaho multiple times a year and she wasn't having it. I also explained the increase in cost and it's probably not a good decision financially and the conversation was dismissed...

What would be some good parts/cites/towns in the state to look at? Maybe an hour off the coast.

Like stated earlier, if you want to be in the San Diego/So Cal area Temecula/Murrietta is probably your best bet to try stay in your price range and still be in a good area. You'll have to commute for work. Commuting will probably be required no matter what city you choose in order to stay within your budget.

Guess you could start searching for companies or job postings in your fields, see where they are, then checking rents in that area as well as the surrounding areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be mindful of a change in state taxes too. When I was in the military, I paid my home of record taxes (0 in Florida). Now that I live in CA the number on the top of the page looks huge. Then you get your paycheck and you turn bitter :).

If you're only intending to stay about 4 years rather then waste your money on rent if you have the down payment you might want to look into a condo. With current interest rates anything around $250,000 would probably be in you housing budget and if the market goes up you might even make money. The danger is if it goes down however you could get stuck being upside down and can't sell it. I guess you could always rent it out if you couldn't sell it.

Hi,

If you end up in San Diego, $1500 will get you a good blue collar area which is where you want to be. No need to be surrounded by yuppies in the north county.

If you went the buying route, a lower end fixer upper, with an opportunity to earn some sweat equity would be your best bet of only being here for 4 years or so. That would protect you, as others have mentioned, about any potential down turn (which is very possible considering San Diego's/SoCal's cyclical housing market).

In addition to Temecula/Murrieta you should look into Lake Elsinore. $1500 can get you a decent house and you are only 45 or so minutes from the San Clemente/Dana Point beaches.

All of the contingencies above rest on a premise you may not be ready for. We all have to drive in sucky traffic which I assume you do not. Be prepared to spend hours in your car; it is a fact of life here. Yes, Sandy Eggo has the best fishing in the US. Beaches are great and would be a change of pace but she may find that it isn't all of what it looks like from Ohio.

I'm 5th generation here and I'm looking at Idaho.

Reactions: PyroTekRob

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu