Prepping for Deer season

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
I am so excited for deer season that I booked my cabin for opening weekend and went to the range today. First time I sighted in my 243. Range was very loud (rookie mistake and I'll bring plugs + muffs next time, only plugs today). Got further into the spirit and bought a leupold VX-1 3-9x40 just now. I have been looking for a 50mm scope but the VX-1 (40mm) was on special and I am very impressed with my LP BX-1 binos so I think I'll be satisfied.
Every time you all mention bumping some does as you're scouting I perk up because I drew a G13 this year.
As we get closer to the opener I'll see about joining up with a D16 group since I won't be competing for the biggest buck tournament. You shoot any bucks we see and I'll shoot a doe.

Sight in at 25 yards. Then get out at 100 yards then resight it in. Check out the amount of change of for each click of elevation and windage. At 100 yards. I purchased a red laser bore sighter. It really helped. Laser bore sight.

Those shots were taken without a rest. It wasn't an official sighting in but just getting used to the feel of the 243. My first time at an indoor range. I was actually happy to be hitting the paper at 100 yards while shooting free hand.
Once my new scope arrives then I'll do an official sighting in with a bench rest. My brother in law said that my shot pattern looked like Ray Charles was aiming. He also said that with the new scope Ray Charles could hit a dime at 100 yards.
8 weeks to get ready for deer season!

DanSanDiego said:
Those shots were taken without a rest. It wasn't an official sighting in but just getting used to the feel of the 243. My first time at an indoor range. I was actually happy to be hitting the paper at 100 yards while shooting free hand.
Once my new scope arrives then I'll do an official sighting in with a bench rest. My brother in law said that my shot pattern looked like Ray Charles was aiming. He also said that with the new scope Ray Charles could hit a dime at 100 yards.
8 weeks to get ready for deer season!

That's good news.......if you don't get a tight group with in a half dollar or so try some different ammo. Not all guns shoot the same ammo the same if that makes sense....I like the SST and so do most guns but the deer don't.

Ghost said:
Sight in at 25 yards. Then get out at 100 yards then resight it in. Check out the amount of change of for each click of elevation and windage. At 100 yards. I purchased a red laser bore sighter. It really helped. Laser bore sight.

+1

Dan, let me know if/when you want to go back to the range. PM me and we'll see if we can meet up. I have a sled and weights and we can get you sighted in properly.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu