Pressure Signs

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
I have noticed the last few loads I have developed (starting from 1gr above minimum - .5gr below maximum) my bolt handle on my rifle is getting increasingly more difficult to close and open after firing. My groups have also seemed to open up quite a bit from 1-2". I could not figure out why my bolt was getting so sticky until i decided to purchase a digital scale today and realized that the balance measure i had been using to weigh my charges was slightly off. For example, I measured 46.7Gr on the balance and then checked it on my new digital scale and it read 48Gr. I believe I have discovered my problem.......
But attached are pictures of the brass i was using that caused my bolt to stick...... does this brass look over pressured and should it be tossed? Any advice would be much appreciated thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
Snake Charmer said:
From the looks of the primers (what brand ?) and your narrative I would guess that your are at the upper end of pressure with the load, what gun/load etc..?

The gun is a weatherby vanguard S2 in 6.5 creedmoor, the timers are federal large rifle primers.

Yep...primers are flowing around the firing pin. Definite pressure signs.

buy your self a set of balance weights, I have 2 sets so I can adjust the scale down to the nats ass or check if the scale is reading right nice to know you are throwing the correct weight

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu