Problems getting a .338RUM to group

NBK said:
Not high jacking the thread but here is some interesting info on the 338/378 -

The barrel life of expected decent accuracy is around 600 rounds. After that, barrel erosion takes over. It is a true 1000 yard gun but is somewhat punishing to say the least. I guess anything with over 5000 ft pounds of energy is brutal no doubt.

Below speaks for itself!

Weatherby factory ammo, has a 225gr Barnes TSX moving out at 3180. Holy smokes!
John your correct, but I think it's the throat that gets eroded, it can be avoided by not seating the bullet head so deep amongst other things, but I wouldn't want to shoot that thing 600 times! Thanks for the heads up.

Yup same-same. The throat is part of the barrel. Both the throat and the beginning lands get worn when this phenomena occurs. 8)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu