Project Appleseed?

HuggyBear15

a complete n00b
Nov 28, 2015
Hi everyone,

Reading through the hunt reports, I'm constantly impressed with the marksmanship of SCH members. This has made me want to improve the fundamentals of my shooting, and hopefully increase my effective range. I've looked into Project Appleseed, and it seems like an economical way to really nail down the basics of shooting, though it looks like the shooting tends to be at very short ranges, with longer distances only simulated through scaled targets.

I'm wondering: have any of y'all gone through the program? If so, how much shooting experience did you have when you did it, and did you find the program helpful? I understand that the Appleseed instructors tend to share a particular set of political views as part of their instruction; that type of thing doesn't bother me.

For those that haven't heard of Project Appleseed by the way, here's a link! http://appleseedinfo.org/

-HuggyBear

At first I was confused about why you might think it might be for archery, but re-reading my post I see that's totally reasonable! No where did I mention it was for rifles haha. My mistake :-/

And I agree! Seems like an interesting program.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I looked into it you need a rim fire couple mags and lots of ammo

They do it at 25yds to speed up the course......walking 800yds to change targets can take awhile.

MJB said:
walking 800yds to change targets can take awhile.

That I believe, lol. I feel like it takes me forever to walk 100 yards :p

Do you feel like 25 yard shooting can really simulate 400 yard shooting though? That's the main thing that gives me pause with it.

Sounds like the weekend clinic is good but the boot camp is the real deal.....I need to do it

http://appleseedinfo.org

MJB said:
Sounds like the weekend clinic is good but the boot camp is the real deal.....I need to do it

Okay cool! Yeah it looks pretty worthwhile. Would you mind letting me know your thoughts if you beat me to it? I'm very curious to speak with someone who has completed it. I've mentioned to one or two people, but I've got an infant at home. Given this, I think the full-blown boot camp is out of the question for me personally, but I'm hoping to make the weekend course work at some point in the not-too-distant future. I just purchased a cheap semi-auto, magazine fed rimfire as a matter of fact, so I'll be ready :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu