Proving non-lead Ammunition

Very interesting. I'm
Glad to hear these reviews. Next time I do a range day I'll get it on the rest and record down differences for future shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Word of advice: Start rolling your own. Avoids that $50 box fee and remember folks, soon you have to register to buy ammo. Buying components and learning to roll your own will save you alot of grief in the long run.

Like Steve says, if you're zeroed with lead, your unleaded ammo will only be 5 inches away and easy to tune in. I would put your Prius ammo on the shelf until it's required, then re adjust with 3 or 4 rounds. I'm not sure how the warden will know the difference. Maybe we could dip our ammo in copper :)

Bonejour said:
Same question as Matt asked: how would a magnet differentiate lead from copper. More to the point, since lead isn't magnetic and the question the ranger ought to be asking is whether you have any lead ammo, what use would a magnet be to the warden?

Well, somebody removed my answer to this.....I was thinking of waterfowl apparently......lol.....I do recall wardens having a wand device that picks up lead......It would be tough to tell in many cases tho.....Just looked at my .243 Fusion ammo.....Very copper looking.

I wonder if/when the ammo reg comes into law (maybe 2019) if they will also keep track of primers n such

I've been stopped many times by wardens in the condor zone. I hand load and carry my bullet box tag with me. Most times they just except it. However there is a field test that was done once. Also one warden took a whole shell put it in an evidence bag and had it tested. I was a little worried that it might get confused or something else. But it al worked out fine. With steel shot they do just use a magnet. It's also easier with shot shells since they are labeled on the shell. Rifle is different but remember they have been doing this for years in the condor zone.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu