Pumped for this weekends archery opener

Shmee22

Apr 19, 2014
First time my birthday has fallen on opening weekend. Hopefully I get a good birthday gift and harvest my first archery buck.

Also I'm doing my first hunt that I hike in and spend the night where I'm hunting.. Any suggestions on what to bring? I don't have a backpacking pack but my hunting pack is big enough for my pocket rocket stove and I can strap my pup tent to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a few threads on what to carry in......Remember, you may have to carry a deer out.....Load accordingly.

Good luck

ps.....You may want to invest in a bigger pack.

Last edited:
Don't spend the night too close to where you'll be hunting. Your scent will be very strong after several hours and every wind shift will carry it in a different direction. Good luck out there!

#1 Hope you get your BDay wish.
#2 suggestions: Still warm you can save weight by using a hammock. No tent and bag needed.
You camping at a designated campsite? If not you might need a wilderness permit. Also wardens/rangers can write you a ticket for an open flame with your pocket rocket stove. I've been warned with a jetboil. Really sucks to hike in with all the water for 3 days and had to dump it out on the end of first day getting kicked out.
#3 Im excited too!

Stay up high if you can... Your scent shouldn't float down or camp 1/2 mile away. Remember heat rises and cool air sinks. Don't be afraid to make two trips out if you get lucky. Just make sure your truck has enough supplies to spend the night if needed. Then go back for the rest of your crap in the am.
Good luck! Ask for help if you need it....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got a site at Barton flats campground! One opened up this morning last minute so I grabbed it quick. Anybody know the area for hunting? Are the mountains and trails around it open for hunting?

Well no deer but found some really nice areas that I will be visiting throughout the rest of the season. Spotted a couple of does though which is promising and encouraging to know I was in good deer areas.

e47acf067edf20572f49495171f845a1.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu