Quail Honey Hole with my pup

QuePasaJames

Nov 8, 2016
Hey guys, some of you may have seen previous posts of my golden retriever, Archer, as I have shown you some of his training progression. I've been self training him at home, and on the field for the last 11 months. I have to give a shoutout to High on Kennels in Mesa Grande for giving me some guidance in collar conditioning and force fetching. I highly recommend them to anyone who wants their dog trained.

This is Archer's first season, and up until a few days ago, he's only been on dove hunts with me. Pretty simple; he sits next to me and when a bird goes down, he'll fetch it. He's great at it.... but I always wanted to know if he was able to point or flush.

Well I put him to the test. I took him to a spot that I knew had some decent numbers of quail, and he did not disappoint!

I have also found out through this process that he is not really going to point. But with simple training games like dragging dead birds through brush, and other training exercises like directional commands, I can basically send this dog out, run him left or right, and get him to "accidentally" bump the birds. Maybe he does know where they are, but from my point of view, it looks like he's just randomly running into them. Regardless, he bumped 2 coveys, both of them 20-40 birds deep, and it was game on!

I would've limited out, but I ran out of shells, and we lost a good number of birds in some really thick chaparral. Regardless, I'm super proud of my pup!

It is so fun hunting with a dog....ArcherQuail.JPG

He looks dopey like a lab.

Awesome that you got into the birds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's a great shoot.....You lost a number of birds even with your pup?.....That's what he's pay for.....lol

ps.....Tough country for sure.....Man or beast.

That's a great shoot.....You lost a number of birds even with your pup?.....That's what he's pay for.....lol

ps.....Tough country for sure.....Man or beast.
HAHAHA serious! There was one bird that went down, and Im staring at it 4 feet away from me. It's a gimme, and I'm trying to communicate with him that its right under him. He just running in circles looking for it. I literally had to touch the bird to show him haha. Other than a few mishaps, he was great though. I had to cut him some slack. He's still a young gun

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu