Quail limits with Archer

QuePasaJames

Nov 8, 2016
I finally got to take the pup out for a quail hunt. He got fired up chasing the crippled ones. We found 2 coveys, both with a lot of birds. My shooting was pretty rusty at the beginning of the day, so I ended up really dispersing the first covey all over the place. We went back to the car to give myself and the pup a break, and to scout out some new areas. We found another covey that was very vocal. We worked towards them slowly, and I finally sent him out. 10 Minutes later, we're taking this picture!

I need to get him some boots. One of his toes got chewed up. Does anyone have any recommendations?
IMG_6083.JPG

I've tried and lost many so I started making my own out of bicycle tire tubes. Very simple and cheap. You can make 3 sets from 1 tube.
I also use infant socks on the outside as a pre-wrap. Check out you tube for the instructional version and save your dog and your wallet.

I second the tire tubes to boots, super easy to do (cheap if you get free worn out tires from a shop) and work great. I usually just boot the front legs. I go with prewrap and athletic tape to attach and they'll usually stay on an entire hunt unless they get really wet.

Reactions: QuePasaJames

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu