Quail near Beaumont, CA

josh

Aug 30, 2012
www.exoticpetnetwork.com
Well, it's been a rough first week for quail. My buddies and I have been out for 15 hours of hiking and hunting and bagged seven birds total over that time. Maybe we're missing something or maybe the hatch wasn't as good as last year but this area in particular used to yield a decent number of birds.
We'll keep trying it, mainly because it's close to home and fairly accessible. It feels good to be outside, working up a sweat, and seeing the countryside.
Photo's from opening day

Attachments

• IMG_5303.jpg
    IMG_5303.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
same here Josh, I was out the other day and didn't kick up a single covey, didn't hear any calls or chatter either. My house backs a green belt and oddly enough we usually see coveys of 20-30 birds (of course they are not huntable). They haven't even been there and they usually come in and pick up the seed from the bird feeder. However, during April/May we did see our normal number of chicks, so where they've gone, no idea :-(

I forgot to mention that the quail I shot this weekend was my first harvest as a hunter! First bird shot!
Pretty exciting stufff! And it DOES feel good to be off that couch!
Thanks for the words of encouragement

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu