Question about bear hunting

Rackscavenger909

Sep 8, 2020
I am a new archery hunter and I got my first bear tag this year. After the archery bear season has ended and re reading the regulations. I am still unsure if I can hunt bear with an AO license during the general deer season. Can any give me a little guidance here? Thanks

An AO tag is for deer only and really has nothing to do with your bear tag.....Your bear tag is still good till Dec. 26th....Regardless, of means of take.

2021 General Season​

General bear season opens concurrently with general deer season in the A, B, C, D, X8, X9A, X9B, X10 and X12 deer hunting zones and extends through December 26, 2021. For those portions of zones X1, X2, X3a, X4, X6a, X6b, X7a, and X7b open to bear hunting, the general bear season begins October 9, 2021, and extends through December 26, 2021.

General bear season closes on December 26, 2021, or earlier, if the Department determines that 1,700 bears have been reported taken. This includes bears harvested during the archery season.

Last edited:
Thank you, for your response. I Just wanted to throw it out there. It seems like if it’s not spelled out in the regulations it’s illegal in California. And the fact that there is a archery bear season,Confused me. Deer season with an AO tag specifically says that you can hunt deer during archery and general season. No matter the case thanks again

Thank you, for your response. I Just wanted to throw it out there. It seems like if it’s not spelled out in the regulations it’s illegal in California. And the fact that there is a archery bear season,Confused me. Deer season with an AO tag specifically says that you can hunt deer during archery and general season. No matter the case thanks again

Good luck

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu