QUESTION ABOUT TAGS

Captaintb

Sep 13, 2011
Alpine, Ca
I've been reading about some guys using their D-16 tags when they have shot a buck during the first A22 season.

Like Forrest said " I may not be very smart man" but I always thought if you shoot a deer during A22 you use your A22. Maybe I don't know?

The two seasons overlap so there are times when they are both open and if you shot a buck (with a bow) in that time you would have a choice on what tag you wanted to punch. Same with a AO and A22.

The the first half of D16 is bow season right now (buck only) it will close and then open back up for the general season where you can use a rifle or keep hunting with your bow.

Zones D-14, D-16, D-17 and D-19.
■1. Area: As described in subsection 360(a)(13)(A), (15)(A), (16)(A) and (17)(A), respectively.
■2. Season: The archery season in zones D-14, D-16, D-17 and D-19 shall open on the first Saturday in September and extend for 23 consecutive days.
■3. Bag and Possession Limit: One buck, forked horn (see subsection 351(a)) or better per tag.

Here are the regs.....

For example; I have an AO (Archery Only) and A-22 tags. AO is a buck only tag that is good during the general zones except those zones listed in the regulations (C-1 through C-4 and X-1 through X-12). With the AO tag, I was able to bowhunt in a Northern California B zone and still use it down here in San Diego for the D-16 general season (obviously I didn't fill the tag in Norcal, hence still being able to use it down here)

If I killed a buck during the first half of A-22, I would definitely use my AO tag because it ends when the general D-16 rifle season ends. By doing this, I still have my A-22 tag which allows me to hunt until the end of December. That's just my strategy. Clear as mud?

But if you bought a D16 over a AO you may have a rifle hunt planned. A guy that rifle hunts may want to keep his D16 to use later, so it may be a tough choice to have if you hunt rifle too. Either way, if you have to make that choice it means you have one buck on the ground !!!!!!!!!! Good problem to have.

breacher said:
Zones D-14, D-16, D-17 and D-19.
■1. Area: As described in subsection 360(a)(13)(A), (15)(A), (16)(A) and (17)(A), respectively.
■2. Season: The archery season in zones D-14, D-16, D-17 and D-19 shall open on the first Saturday in September and extend for 23 consecutive days.
■3. Bag and Possession Limit: One buck, forked horn (see subsection 351(a)) or better per tag.

Here are the regs.....
That narrows it down, Thanks breacher

I was always assuming that D16 was 3rd saturday in october and continues for 4 weeks. Never knew you could start bow hunting D16 on sept. 1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu