Question for dove hunting in the Imperial Valley

MidCityBlueSpartan

Feb 21, 2013
I am new to dove hunting and I was hoping y'all could help me understand which areas you are allowed to hunt in IV. I have heard people say that you can hunt any property that is not labeled with a "No Trespassing" sign. Is this right it just sounds strange to me that you would be able to wander onto someone else's property and hunt just because they didn't post a sign? I'm just trying to find somewhere to go come opener other than the DWU fields so any info will be much appreciated thank you

This isn't going to answer your question directly, but it pretty much goes for all of California... It's up to you to know where you can and can't hunt. If there's no fence and no posted signs, it's fair game. Saying that... you can't hunt state parks, Indian land, and private property and you have to abide by all the State and Local (city/cty ordinances) hunting and shooting laws. Chances are, if the land owner doesn't have fences or signage posted, it's because they don't yet have a problem with people hunting the land or aren't affected by not having it secured. Pack it in, pick up after yourself, and pack it out. From what I hear, the IV farmers appreciate the dove hunters so as long as you are cleaning up after yourself, you're probably going to be fine anywhere you go. If there are cattle even remotely close to you, I'd look further into getting permission from the farm / land owner. Good luck to you.

In the IV it's a little different.........you can hunt any field that's not posted BUT use your common sense. Pick up after yourself don't drive on the fields, don't walk out into row crops, don't crap or pee with in 300 yards of a organic field.....plus all the other rules like no shooting within city limits 150 yds from building ect.

Just find the doves flyway and game on cattle pens are okay unless it's late season or you want euros. True dove hunters if there is such a thing. Will find the feed & roosting spots for dove and don't be afraid to move or look for more birds. Things change daily out in the IV so it pays to always keep looking.

Good luck

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu