Question on taking deer with shotgun.

d16ridgehiker

Oct 26, 2011
According to game laws:

(b) Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only

So my question is....For hunting D16, does San Diego County have any ordinance against using slugs? I cant find anywhere that is doesnt.

I thought it had to be slugs for shotgun in Cali while deer hunting. I will have to read the regs again to see what it says. I know Pendleton doesn't allow buckshot for deer.

dano626 said:
I guess the other question is:

Can you use buckshot even if slugs are ok?

okay the way I read it is that buckshot is okay only in areas where hunting with rifle or shotgun with slugs are prohibited by county ordinance. Hope that helps.

Bowhunter_619 said:
okay the way I read it is that buckshot is okay only in areas where hunting with rifle or shotgun with slugs are prohibited by county ordinance. Hope that helps.

Thats the way I read it as well but wanted other opinions. Thanks!!

As far as I'm aware San Diego county does not have any ordinances regarding buck shot use. The county ordinance establishes areas you can shoot and areas you can't shoot (correct me if I'm wrong) which mean San Diego is slug only. I believe there are counties up north that have specific ordinances allowing limited hunting with archery and buckshot. To be 100% safe just make sure to have slugs.

dano626 said:

I know its called 'buckshot" but is it even a reliable shell to take deer with? Never hear of anyone actually doing it. I'd say if you're close enough to use a shotgun, I'd have a slug in the chamber. Just my opinion....

I know its called 'buckshot" but is it even a reliable shell to take deer with? Never hear of anyone actually doing it. I'd say if you're close enough to use a shotgun, I'd have a slug in the chamber. Just my opinion....

Yes it is reliable and is pretty common back East especially in states like Ohio with dense woods and rifle restrictions.

Randomshot said:

Yes it is reliable and is pretty common back East especially in states like Ohio with dense woods and rifle restrictions.

Wow, never heard of people using it. I guess that would make sense.

I grew up using 00 buckshot for deer back in Alabama. My great grandfather (who raised me) swore by 00 buck out of his 1100. Most of the deer were taken during drives and running dogs or just beating brush. Man that was a fun time!

As a matter of fact he had a 30.06 that was hardly ever used when he passed away back in 1992 and I break it out every once in a while now just like he had it setup; Remington 721 in 30.06 with Simmons scope.

LP, it is in dang good shape. I almost sold it a while back and reality slapped me up side the head that I would be getting rid of a part of my family I couldn't get back.

Attachments

• IMG_0706[1].JPG
    IMG_0706[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 12
Thanks LP, I will shoot you a PM; This is why I love this site, just hunters helping each other out in every way we can.

Lungpopper said:
Just so happens I have the rear site for that rifle, if you want it you can have it.

Thats a great rifle ! Dont change a thing just hunt it. Its the grandpa of the 700, the first animal I ever saw fall was a mule deer in New Mexico that my uncle shot with one chambered in 270. the next year (1972) I watched him smoke a 6x6 elk in ther Gila widerness with the same gun.

Breacher said:
dano626 said:

I grew up hunting in the lower peninsula of Michigan, shotgun and muzzleloaders are the only legal firearms for deer hunting. I started shooting smoothbore slugs, just getting within 50 yards, I would be good. I eventually upgraded to a rifled barrel with a scope, shooting lightfield slugs. I used 00 buck on one hunt, had a doe about 20 yards away. I shot at her with 2 rounds as fast as my Winchester 1400 would shoot em. I didnt hit her with one pellet, I dropped a remington slugger in the chamber and crushed her at 45 yards. So I will never use buckshot for deer ever again.

So i have a question back on the shotgun topic. If i shoot a slug through my remington 870 is it necessary to use an open choke or would it damage the barrel if i used an improved cylinder or even a modified choke?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu