QUESTION: RE : Seal Beach / Bolsa Chica Wetlands

But it is very expensive and hard to find. Basically order on line.
I buy 4lb for trout fishing,
10-15 lb for salt and fresh water.
15-20 lb for salt water.
I had a 30lb yellow nearly spool me 3-4 times on 15lb line, with a spinning real.
I like it..

Next time you catch a croaker, cut it for bait and hang on

Spring for the license @Larry so you can get on the sand, its the fishing equivalent to hunting private vs public land IMO.
RE: Bait.. I just went to H Mart and got some chopped octopus, and Black Mussels. I've never seen a fish in the ocean that won't eat Black Mussels.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
With fishing licenses... you just have to pay for them... and on your own get familiar with the regs, correct?

Yea, no classes or prep courses like hunting. Pay and go.
RE: Bait.. I just went to H Mart and got some chopped octopus, and Black Mussels. I've never seen a fish in the ocean that won't eat Black Mussels.

Yea, just pay for the license and go fishing. Fishing is more forgiving than hunting since if you catch something you are not sure is legal length or species just throw it back while learning the regs. Never know what you will pull up. I usually start with squid and make bait from there. The best bait is what is caught in the area you are fishing since that is what they are feeding on naturally. My theory is to work my way up the food chain and use the squid to jump start the process. But squid, mussel, sand crabs, shrimp all excellent jump starters. Then once you catch baitfish on those keep moving up the chain. I don't consider myself fishing until after a few critters are on the sand and then I can bring the long rods out.

Lets hit the beach sometime and take the boys out, if I remember right they are close in age, mine is 11. Kids don't need a license until they are 16 and you can get a 1 day for you for $16.40 or annual license with ocean enhancement $51.60 good to Dec 31st. Only a few more weeks of tourists left and the beaches will clear out and summer kelp die off will be over. I have tons of gear so you can try different setups from light mono to wire.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
dude life keeps throwing me curve balls , I don't see it till I miss. lol, I hate making excusses, but a beach fishing party is on the order, before season starts.
I mean who doesn't like have a cook out, cold drinks, beach fishing , maybe some where like just north of del mar, state beach freaking brain not working...

Lets hit the beach sometime and take the boys out, if I remember right they are close in age, mine is 11. Kids don't need a license until they are 16 and you can get a 1 day for you for $16.40 or annual license with ocean enhancement $51.60 good to Dec 31st. Only a few more weeks of tourists left and the beaches will clear out and summer kelp die off will be over. I have tons of gear so you can try different setups from light mono to wire.

It's weird. Dunno why I just haven't gone before. I guess because I was busy raising a young one ya know?

Kinda silly not too since I live pretty darn close to the water. I guess because I hate fussing with parking issues? And the sand jacks up my feet with cracked heel.

And I will admit probably because it's hard for me to be patient with the boy sometimes. But it worked real well y'day since @surfcity was showing my boy stuff.. you know.. when it's another adult.. how they don't whine and bitch like they will when it's you.. and how they'll more intently listen and follow directions.

I'll go and pickup a license. Ya gotta figure at least it'll give us more quality time and he'll get out of the house and away from a 'puter more this way.

Maybe we hit it up Sunday August 18th? Do another PM session. I'll be in Angeles NF the day before. So I'll need the morning for recovery.

I need to get some advice what to do with a pole off a sailboat in the ocean. Tried off a friends boat a few times and have pretty much no clue what we are doing or should be doing. He tried rigging up a lure once and I didn't want to be pushy but I took one look at it and thought the weight is probably going to get tangled up with the lure something fierce, and it did.

Huh? What kinda lure uses a weight in addition to the lure? Can you show a pic or post a link to this kind of lure?

Very few I can think of which have some kind of wait besides the lure, such as a Bonita rig.

Last edited:
I need to get some advice what to do with a pole off a sailboat in the ocean. Tried off a friends boat a few times and have pretty much no clue what we are doing or should be doing. He tried rigging up a lure once and I didn't want to be pushy but I took one look at it and thought the weight is probably going to get tangled up with the lure something fierce, and it did.
Hey Steve want to try that again,,
so what I under stand
A) fishing off a sail boat.
b) what set up to use
c) lure is to heavy and will get tangle up.

if off shore sailing , and not bay fishing , use trolling jigs, squid jigs , no bait involved.
you can troll rapalas but it has to be extremely slow troll.
best tp of reel is heavy duty bait casting/trolling rig with 80 lb minimum trolling line.

if in the bay or lake, lite line 30lb or less , hard bait casting rigs, nice and bright shinny.
many combinations..

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu