QUESTION: Tips and Patterns for Mouth-calling

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
Wanted to compare notes from others who have more experience Mouth-calling predators.

I'm looking for more of a general guide line in terms of, by species, how long to you call for, then how long do you wait before calling again. Also maybe which calls do you typically start off with, and when do you decide to change it up to another kind of call, and how long to wait before going over to that other type of call.

For instance:
I vaguely recall from asking this question before elsewhere, whomever that was suggested 15-30 seconds of calling... then waiting 2-3 minutes before next calling sequence, for like the first up to 3 times. Then they suggested bumping up the in-between wait time to 3-5 minutes.

They said if going for Bobcats, they take a little longer to come in and you should go up to even 45-60minutes total on a spot if they are your goal.

I'm looking for info like this. The patterns and types of calls you generally execute, and the way the sequence is strung together dependent on species.

I hope to get another shot on a Coyote. I have a tag for a BobCat. (Both of which I can use the eCaller for) but I also know some places where Gray Foxes have come in to the eCaller. But you can't use eCaller when calling in Gray Foxes... so I want to have a better grasp and game plan in mind for those times I choose to go old school when there is a good chance a Grey Fox will come in as well.

So: Coyote, Bobcat, Gray Fox. With just Mouth Calls. How do YOU do it?

Larry,

Can't help much on the mouth calling part. I'm all e-caller... and I let her rip at a low-medium volume at first.. usually with some type of bunny/kitty distress call … hope for a bobcat to show first but towards end I switch over to puppy in distress and blast the volume to 20. All happen within 30 minutes and then I move to another spot.

If I lived in areas like you guys and did mouth calling I would be packing a sidearm, knife, brass knuckles in case a mountain lion showed up, that is some scary shizz to worry about.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Hehe dunno about Brass... too heavy. Hrmm... wonder is there's somebody who makes some Titanium knuckles, yeah? Make some neat sparks if they had braces! HaHA!!

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I always pack my lil Sig P238 when in CNF. It's nite-sights are very cool. Even I can see them without my glasses on in the black of night.

In the mag I stagger LeHigh Xtreme Penetrators, Xtreme Defenders and then DRT has these Compressed Copper Powder HP's I mix in there too. Figure between the 3 of them something should work! and that lil .380acp is VERY accurate for such a short barrel.

Brother... like how far away do you move to that next spot? Ballpark figure.
I have lots of places over here in my neck of the desert, so it could be miles apart. But if I stay close to one certain area lets say a river bottom that I still want to hunt I move about 300 yards and keep the volume low for the next few calls.

check out how my area looks...
32°50'3.27"N
115°45'42.25"W

300, gotcha. Ok. Yeah... nobody ever really says any sort of hard number for how far away to move along when you do, so thanks for that. Some of us don't have the luxury of being able to hop back into a car and drive a little more each time.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu