Question!

S

stikbrandon

As I’m sure some of you long time members have watched/read about my dog over the past 6 years, she is with out a doubt my best hinting partner I have and is a tru bird dog. She does it all from water fowl to upland. I have over the past two season noticed that she does not use her nose , that being said she is not a pure bread virsitile dog nor a pure lab. She with out questionnis a mut through and through that I have trained 100% on my own and would hunt her in any duck blind with any seasoned duck dogs.

My question is, is there a way I can get her to use her nose more with upland? I know she uses it but not like a true upland dogs. Duck hunting is different it’s more visual conpaired to let’s say dove hunting .

ThanksD2F68723-D406-4895-89A6-B3A614AD897F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
My dog had the same issue. I zip tied wings to her dummy and started throwing it at night. It forced her to start using her nose.

Gotta try that with my pup she will fetch the dummy well but I think that will add in the nose part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried hiding frozen birds in the yard? If they can't see it then they have to use the nose.

Put the dog inside the house and then take a recently shot bird or rabbit carcass (whatever your quarry) and drag it on a string around your backyard and hide it in a bush. Better yet, do this down wind and then release your dog to do his thing. We used to do this with my brother's Jack Russel and it worked but then again a Terrier is a ground beast...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu