Questions on where I can Hunt....

RedRiderF26

Jun 23, 2014
I just got some blm maps.... Have questions....

Am I allowed to Hunt on any BLM land as long as its not prohibited in the CDFW regulations? For example there is lots of BLM land in the Santa Rosa wilderness, but most of it appears to be inside a wildlife refuge. The CDFW regulations prohibit hunting inside the refuge boundary but say its ok in the area outside of the boundary..... But I also see other pieces of BLM land that have no mention in the regulations. Can I hunt on those BLM lands even though they are not mentioned by the CDFW regulations?

What about in the forestry areas? Can I hunt on those?

yes and yes from what i understand. Yes any BLM land that is not closed to hunting is open to hunting. Forresty land aka national forrest is ok

This assumes you are fallowing all the regulations and stay off private and leased land.

I think?

Yes & yes.................Keep in mind. You still need to be 150 from any privately held structures (houses, barns, out bldg's).

I hunt some desert BLM for quail. It is surrounded by and has houses amongst it........I get checked every year and as long as I'm the safe distance. There's no problem........Drives the homeowners crazy........... ;)

ilovesprig said:
Yes & yes.................Keep in mind. You still need to be 150 from any privately held structures (houses, barns, out bldg's).

I hunt some desert BLM for quail. It is surrounded by and has houses amongst it........I get checked every year and as long as I'm the safe distance. There's no problem........Drives the homeowners crazy........... ;)
Can you hunt within 150 yards of a building if the owner gives you permission?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://law.onecle.com/california/fish/3004.html

i would have it on paper and please consult with a lawyer for interpretations of the law while visiting the PRC

D16hunter said:
ilovesprig said:

Can you hunt within 150 yards of a building if the owner gives you permission?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, verbal is ok (expressed permission), but written is always the best as stated in the F&G code 2016 (trespassing) and F&G Code 3004 (Discharging of a deadly weapon within a 150 yds of buildings).

sluester said:
Have you called or visited the local forestry or blm office. Have you asked DFW?
Never understood why people do not contact the local managers of property they want to hunt on. That way you can get names and titles of said people. "I read it on the internet" probably won't fly if you have law enforcement in your face.

I've been through tge whole verbal permission thing. I will ALWAYS get written permission now. Especially if the owner is not around for verification. Nobody lies to law enforcement.

Seems like you are guilty out in the field.......you have to prove you're innocent.

^^^This! My buddy and I were detained by a Fish & Wildlife officer a couple of weeks ago on our way out of the hills on a scouting trip. We were on BLM land, and accessed it from a public county road. I had several maps on my iPhone that showed the BLM boundaries as wells private land boundaries. I had called the county sherif to confirm the road was public. I called BLM to confirm there were no leases on the land. I had records of all these phone calls, and we were eventually sent on our way.

Best bet is to do lots of research, make phone calls, and make notes of who you called, what your question was, what their answer was, and their name / title BEFORE you get snatched up.

All true and good advice. The BLM agent in San Diego is knowledgeable and friendly when I've run into him. He checks my license and tags if I'm hunting, but he always seems ready to give something of value and was really helpful to me when I first started hunting here. The forestry people seem to have little or no understanding of hunting, and I get nothing from talking to them. The folks at CDFW are mixed; there are some really knowledgeable and resourceful people both locally and in Sacramento who have actually reached out to me to give advice or help me find information, but the guy at the desk can challenge my patience.

Sent via Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu