RABBIT DINNER

MAG 1

Sep 1, 2016
So I went out Sunday in the afternoon rabbit hunting, and found 4 waiting for me.Cleaned them up like I saw on the post, but didn't seem to get allot of meat. Cooked it up last night, no gamey taste, but seemed a little tough.Is it always tough, or did I do something? Any help is appreciated .

;)Do what ilovesprig do and recommend .buy a meat tenderizer and hit it a couple of times before marinate and cooking. I use jaccard, about $20 at amazon.
Or just shoot the young ones.;)

If you make rabbit stew in a crock pot the meat will be fall off the bones tender. Otherwise I always remove the meat from the hind legs and the two back straps. Toss everything else. Try to get out all of the tendons and other tuff stuff before cooking. Fried rabbit nuggets or marinated and grilled skewers they come out tender for me. Good luck!

Assuming they're cottontails, I find that cottontail is one of those meats that either needs quick/hot (fry) or low/slow (braising). Anything in the middle will make em tough. I haven't tried the meat tenderizer yet but I have flattened em with a mallet before going into the frying pan, like German schnitzel, which tenderizes too.

Mark,

The Jaccard is the secret......Put your favorite rub on them, then tenderize with Jarrard.....Super tender and delish.

ps.....Did you filet them?

.035.JPG

Assuming they're cottontails, I find that cottontail is one of those meats that either needs quick/hot (fry) or low/slow (braising). Anything in the middle will make em tough. I haven't tried the meat tenderizer yet but I have flattened em with a mallet before going into the frying pan, like German schnitzel, which tenderizes too.
I filed them, but they didn't look like that. Practice. I need to tenderize them first. but will try again
Thanks guys

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu