Rabbit Hunting!

kannamike

Jun 14, 2013
San Gabriel Valley
Hey Hunters, I'm a new hunter and I've been scouting for rabbit every weekend since rabbit season opened with no luck. Can any body give me some pointers of where to go or what to do? I've been to lake arrowhead, big bear and lytle creek in San Bernardino forest but there seems be no rabbit up there. I live in Los Angeles Co but I'm willing to travel to San Diego. I have a lot of family down there. Your Help would be much appreciated.

A bow lol. Where r u hunting

Try the valley

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 4,863
Rabbits are all over. Cottontails like areas with green grasses or vegetation with brushy areas they can run and hide in or under. Jack rabbits prefer the desert type areas.

The best thing to do is head out of the city towards the mountains. If you don't know exactly where to go, get some forestry maps and some BLM maps for the areas that are within your preferred driving distances and study them. Then if you see an area (like such and such forest) look that area up on the internet. Find out if hunting is allowed in that area and if so, what types of animals are common in that area. If it looks promising, drive out (even if it is out of season) and scout around. Get out there early in the morning and drive through the areas (where driving is possible) and if the rabbits are there you should have at least one run across the road in front of you or you should see them near the side of the road nibbling on greens.

You can find cottontails during the heat of the day, but they tend to stay well hidden in the shade of bushes, so early morning or early evening are prime times to hunt them. Don't get me wrong. I've bagged plenty of rabbits during the heat of mid day, but it is a harder hike and harder spot to find them some times.

You can also use Google Earth to look at the areas you find on the maps to see if there are areas you feel should hold rabbits. There's no replacement for actually putting miles on your shoes though in finding a prime rabbit hunting spot. It shouldn't be too hard though. Like I mentioned, they are all over and very prolific. :)

Plenty of washes that hold water year round as well as ones that dont but still have enough moisture for a good food source around Gorman/Frazier Park area. Only about 45 min north of LA. Surprised you didn't have any luck at Lytle Creek. The middle fork is chalked full off rabbits,squirrels and quail.

air rifle did a good job giving advice. the only thing I can add is rabbit hide in holes during the heat of the day.
I love rabbit stew. rabbit is definitely on the menu. early morning or late afternoon is when I have good luck.
scouting is your best bet, good luck man. :)

Here is a question for the masses that I think would benefit a lot of folks. Do you use dogs or walk for rabbits? Which do you prefer? If no dogs, what is your method of march for rabbits? Time of day?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

mancalledhorse said:
Here is a question for the masses that I think would benefit a lot of folks. Do you use dogs or walk for rabbits? Which do you prefer? If no dogs, what is your method of march for rabbits? Time of day?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

I've been doing a fair bit of rabbit hunting lately. If I can get out with my 22 at sunset I walk slow and try to catch them out. If it's during the day I bring a shotgun and try to roust them out of the bushes (i.e. walk them up).

But I struggle to bring home lots of meat either way. I'm only getting 1 per outing.

I read somewhere in a book I got about walking slowly then pausing from time to time. I guess it is because rabbits freeze when they are threatened and then run when you pause because it makes them think they've been made. I tried that technique and they bolt like greased lightening! Too quick for me. I am going to try your style too.

I mostly look in that boarding bushy stuff next to open area. I notice they do disappear in the day.

mancalledhorse

Yes that technique works," walk & pause". because it's easy to walk right past them. & also I to use a shotgun. I like to hunt at day break. & it takes a little bit of scouting to find them. I take one or two per day. The amount of rain & snow really dictates how many rabbits there will be in the wild. what that means is more rain = more feed = more rabbits.
we been having a dry spell the last couple of years so less rain = less feed = less rabbits.
On plentiful years it's easy to limit out. the wild rabbits out in the forest are more skittish than the ones hanging around the rural areas.

I really like rabbit stew. :)

My issue with this is that I'm generally hunting other species when I see tons of rabbits... by the time I get frustrated at the lack of upland bird or predators in the area, the cottons have long gone. If I showed up geared for Peter, I could probably get 5-6 in the first 30 minutes! No proof without pics... I'll have to give it a go.

I am the Job (jobe) of hunting, lol! When I go out to for one thing, see a bunch of the other. Then when I switch up (that point of "heck with this, let's do that because I just saw a bunch of them") the other stuff is all gone!

Like those darn turkey and deer switch offs, lol!

I noticed the rabbits really like that ankle/ calf high brush or that wiry, curly stuff (the stuff that looks like curly straw). There seems to be a "sweet spot" in the temperature and weather. Like it can't be too hot, because they disappear. How about too cold? I have been up at Dead Man's in December during ice overs. I can't recall much of anything other than the occasional deer.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu