Rainy day grillin

For venison as patties for burgers, what's a good percent of fat to put into the ground? And what kind of fat is typically used? Pork?

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
For venison as patties for burgers, what's a good percent of fat to put into the ground? And what kind of fat is typically used? Pork?

I put no extra fat in mine...Specialty Meats adds it, when they grind it...I think it's 20% pork.

Specialty Meats did 10% pork fat in this batch. When I used to take my deer to T&H they'd do 20% beef fat I think. The leaner grind makes it a bit tougher to hold together for burger patties but the venison tastes damn good.

Specialty Meats did 10% pork fat in this batch. When I used to take my deer to T&H they'd do 20% beef fat I think. The leaner grind makes it a bit tougher to hold together for burger patties but the venison tastes damn good.
Been thinking of getting one of those hand-cranked ones for the house, since the only time I'd use it is for the trimming like the neck meat, and brisket meat and forelimb meant, ya know?

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Been thinking of getting one of those hand-cranked ones for the house, since the only time I'd use it is for the trimming like the neck meat, and brisket meat and forelimb meant, ya know?
The manual grinders are a huge PITA IMO.. years ago I had the same thinking and got one and the amount of cranking even for a small amount of meat was crazy. I plan on getting a new small electric one since my last one broke a few years back, which is why I've been taking stuff to the butcher to make ground...

I have a Kitchen Aid attachment that is brand new I am willing to donate for $25. Paid $80...

Reactions: msailor

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu