Random Yote Question

Midwest_Hunter

Mar 6, 2013
I have not been coyote hunting but I am wanting to get into it but I need to get a rifle for that, but my question is;

What do you do with the yote? DO you eat it, skin it, just leave it for the scavenger or what? LOL Sounds sorta strange that it would be eaten.

The one my buddy just shot we skinned out and saved the pelt and the skull. I've got the hide tanning at home and the skull is in the beetles as we speak. I don't know if I'd take the time to skin out everyone you shoot but if the hide is nice you might think about it.

As far as eating it, hell no. That's just gross.

I leave most of mine but I have taken a few heads. If you are into coyote pelts you can skin them out.

I recommend a good bolt action 223 if you are on a budget. The AR has really become a great coyote rifle but can be pricey these days. I use a 12 gag also with #4 Buckshot

You should buy my ar15 its in the classified section.

In the winter I save a few for pelts. Rest of the year is worm food. They gotta eat to

SoCalRebelHunter said:
The one my buddy just shot we skinned out and saved the pelt and the skull. I've got the hide tanning at home and the skull is in the beetles as we speak. I don't know if I'd take the time to skin out everyone you shoot but if the hide is nice you might think about it.

As far as eating it, hell no. That's just gross.

I'm no taxidermist, but I really would like to tan a pelt if I ever get a nice one. What product/process do you recommend?

And, I took a couple out coyote hunting once. They didn't want the coyote we shot to go to waste, so they took the meat home and cooked it. The wife said it tasted like wet dog. Now, this woman grew up in a 3rd-world country where eating dogs is not uncommon, but since she was expecting, "wet dog" didn't go well with her stomach, and they ended up tossing it. Before they did, she gave me a sample of it. The way it was prepared was pretty strong, so I only tasted a teeny bit and tossed the rest. If prepared differently, it might be edible...maybe.

I Googled recipes and there are actually some out there. I have eaten some exotic foods from around the world during my travels like horse, ;D but I do not think I could eat fido.... :'( Even if he is wild and unsophisticated. :p

I'm no taxidermist, but I really would like to tan a pelt if I ever get a nice one. What product/process do you recommend?
[/quote]

Well, if you want to get really crazy you can use the brain. The animals brain, no matter what animal it is, is enough to tan the entire hide. I've never done it but I met a guy once who tanned an entire buffalo using its' own brain. It's a process but I guess it's a tan that no chemical can replicate.

As far as easy tans to use, there are a couple different ones depending on how soft/supple you want the actual leather part of the hide. One is called Krowtann 2000. It's more of a tan used for mounts, but I've used it to tan coyotes that were going to just hang on a wall. The leather gets stiff once it's dried (hence why it's good for mounts) but it keeps the hair in well. http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/KWT100-P3834.aspx

The other is Trapper's Hide Tanning formula. It comes in a little orange bottle. This one, if done absolutely according to the directions, will produce soft leather. It's a process for sure, and it's a product I've just started using, but so far I'm a fan. http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/trappershidetanformula.aspx

Good luck! Hope this helps.

I just read somewhere that eastern coyote hides were going for between $22-$35 for the nice, thick, fluffy ones. Those are the yotes you see on the covers of all the hunting mags. Big, fluffy, coats and all. Pretty sure these dogs out here don't get real great winter coats, just because we don't really have a winter.

With that said, I don't think there's a market. There may be, but I don't think any sensible fur trader is looking to SoCal for high end furs.

That makes sense, when I hunted in WA there was a rumor that there was a bounty on them but I could find not factual information on that.

SoCalRebelHunter said:

Well, if you want to get really crazy you can use the brain. The animals brain, no matter what animal it is, is enough to tan the entire hide. I've never done it but I met a guy once who tanned an entire buffalo using its' own brain. It's a process but I guess it's a tan that no chemical can replicate.

As far as easy tans to use, there are a couple different ones depending on how soft/supple you want the actual leather part of the hide. One is called Krowtann 2000. It's more of a tan used for mounts, but I've used it to tan coyotes that were going to just hang on a wall. The leather gets stiff once it's dried (hence why it's good for mounts) but it keeps the hair in well. http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/KWT100-P3834.aspx

The other is Trapper's Hide Tanning formula. It comes in a little orange bottle. This one, if done absolutely according to the directions, will produce soft leather. It's a process for sure, and it's a product I've just started using, but so far I'm a fan. http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/trappershidetanformula.aspx

Good luck! Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll take a look!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu