rangefinder tether

millbro

Oct 8, 2012
Lakeside
www.millbrothersinc.com
Any of you guys use a retractable tether for your rangefinder in the field. I'm looking for a quiet option and heard that the Nikon one was noisy and not worth it. I'm tired of having that thing stuck in my pocket and trying to pull it out everytime i need it. Thoughts?

I have an EVO brand one and it works great.
The only thing is I seem to end up putting it in my pocket later during the season when it gets cold and not using it at all.

Do you wear your binos on a harness? If you do you can always put a key ring on the range finder if there is a loop and attach them to a zip-tie on the harness. I have mine just above my binos on my right shoulder. It prefect if you need to range a deer when its in close since there is very little movement.

Srfnkill said:
Do you wear your binos on a harness? If you do you can always put a key ring on the range finder if there is a loop and attach them to a zip-tie on the harness. I have mine just above my binos on my right shoulder. It prefect if you need to range a deer when its in close since there is very little movement.

not a bad idea there. Does it get in the way when you pull up your binos though?

Not at all. I have used it this way for years. First with just the old standard harness and now with the S4 Lockdown harness.

Srfnkill said:
Not at all. I have used it this way for years. First with just the old standard harness and now with the S4 Lockdown harness.
Srfnkill, would you mind posting a pic? I have the S4 and put one belt through the belt loop of my rangefimder's case before snapping it on, but I still have to mess with the lanyard. Your way sounds better but I'm having trouble imagining it.

Sent via Tapatalk

I do mine the same as Sammy.....on my nimrod bino harness I zip tie the range finder to the strap and I have it ready.

That's smart... I like that. Going to have to mod my setup... been just looping it around my neck and tend to smack my binos off it. Thanks.

I own the Nikon tether that they sell at Bass Pro. It's ok, not too noisy but it does make some. Definitely not worth $30. The concept of the belt clip tether for rangefinders is cool though, makes it way easier to use when walking around and need it quick.

Sent from my iPhone

millbro said:
Any of you guys use a retractable tether for your rangefinder in the field. I'm looking for a quiet option and heard that the Nikon one was noisy and not worth it. I'm tired of having that thing stuck in my pocket and trying to pull it out everytime i need it. Thoughts?

millbro I use a Horn Hunter bino case which has hooks and rings, I had my wife sew a loop of para cord on the case of my Nikon Archers Choice cover and it hooks on the right side of the bino case, you can just slip it off when you need it. I had a short cord connected to it at first but the cord was always getting caught in my bow or binos. If you go to a back packing store like Rei they have lots of little clips and accessories that you can get that will make things easier.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu