ranging with pins

so my # 1 choice," if there no issue with time " when stalking would be my range finder. if no time then this would be my second choice if in range.. if to far try estimate or let ride...

Reactions: Goyaałé
I like that dead-on sight. Just wondering where to place that belly pin. Our Mule Deer are smaller on average. Would it be more in the 17" range like a Whitetail Deer or 20" range for Mule Deer? Have to play with it to get it right for sure.

Thanks for this LBH2! Just ordered the Dead On through amazon. Since Im not a pro like davetheslave, I only have seen small bodied bucks. So I will adjust for the smaller deer.

Guess I'll have to make a trip to the outdoor range and practice with it.

LBH2, you said you made your own...can you explain or take a pic of it?

honestly running your pins to gauge distance is asking for failure. its a bit of a 3d match trick to figure yardage out. In the real world nothing is the same and animal sizes and perspectives change so much.

At 30 to 60 yards where it really matters most of us would be better off stump shooting as much as possible at unmarked yardages at random targets. I know its hard to launch your expensive carbon arrows at random pine cones but in the over all cost of hunting a dozen arrows is nothing.

Learning how to judge distance is all part of the game. You will find that the laser on your neck is great when you are sitting around in a tree or ground blind but most of my kill shots on spot and stalk critters were never ranged. I shot them where my practice told me they were.

i would be curious to hear what some of the more experienced archers like @BOWUNTR think about this.

get out there and shoot :)

Reactions: Gspman
This is all neat stuff with interesting ideas however I agree with aeon. I shot long bows for a looong time at target matches before I started hunting with a compound the last few years. Estimating range is key. Practice A LOT. It just comes from experience. During that second you see the animal and buck fever sets In your practice takes over. Very similar to a shot gun shooting at birds. Experience is the best. With that said I've always got my laser finder with me.

Testing and time will tell. I to started out with traditional. And you guys are correct. There is no substitute for practice. But I like trying something new. The concept is simple. Based on a ratio
1/distance x the height of the object. It does not hurt to try something new. I do know there variables . For example the length of your arm can change the focal point. The forest were I hunt plays tricks on depth perception. You all know 5 to 10 yards makes a difference. I to believe in practicing at different lengths and up and down. Let's see how the testing works before throwing it a side. I would first practice using it to judge distance. Then confirm with the range finder. Then once confirmed. Put the range finder away and try shooting arrows and see if works. The investment & time is cheap.

When I like to Hunt. It usually in foul weather. Cold, cloudy rainy, snowing or foggy. With these added circumstances. Depth perception go's out the window. Range finder quit working. So I have plan A, B & C. By there way no hurt feelings here. Caviet or constructive advice is all good. But let's test then report.

Testing and time will tell. I to started out with traditional. And you guys are correct. There is no substitute for practice. But I like trying something new. The concept is simple. Based on a ratio
1/distance x the height of the object. It does not hurt to try something new. I do know there variables . For example the length of your arm can change the focal point. The forest were I hunt plays tricks on depth perception. You all know 5 to 10 yards makes a difference. I to believe in practicing at different lengths and up and down. Let's see how the testing works before throwing it a side. I would first practice using it to judge distance. Then confirm with the range finder. Then once confirmed. Put the range finder away and try shooting arrows and see if works. The investment & time is cheap.
Well said LBH2. Like GSP as well, I too agree with Aeon. Nothing beats practice (not just at the archery range but real world shooting) as discussed above.

Is this toy a gimmick? Is this another tool for the arsenal? Is this another piece of equipment that I can use for verification? For $20, I figured its affordable enough to play with and more incentive to go to the range. Is it necessary-no. I could just go to the range and like the 1st video above shows, use my pins and see how they measure at distance. If it works or fail, I'll report.

Once again, nothing beats practice. You can have all the best equipment and gadgets in your pocket and you still won't hit the mark if you don't understand each strengths and weaknesses of those tools.

Well the one I calc and had drawn in cad. Passed the range finder test. Next is to test it with actual shots at the Target. So far it works. Mine is based on my arm length
And the distance to my eye to the bow sight.. this will change the height of the Target. Mine is based on 17 inch height. My previous formula is slightly off. My cad drawing to calc out is more correct.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu