Rattlesnake

fordfan1

Sep 5, 2012
San Diego
Went out rabbit hunting this last saturday and didn't see that many rabbits at all. Barely missed one at 70yrds but as we were hiking around I told my buddy to make sure and watch out for rattlesnakes. Stupid me didn't take my own advice and wasn't even watching where I was stepping. Ended up steping within 12" of this guy. Praise God I didn't step on him. When the rattle went off at my feet I jumped so quick it scared me pretty bad. I guess I may have screamed a little bit too. After I calmed down I turned around and shot him. Ended up taking him home and cooking him up. A lot of work for a little meat but it was good.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1374508324977.jpg
    ResizedImage_1374508324977.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 14
  • ResizedImage_1374508613287.jpg
    ResizedImage_1374508613287.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 11
  • ResizedImage_1374508282242.jpg
    ResizedImage_1374508282242.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 11
That snake would have ruined your day! Glad you saw it. Cool find. Did you keep the skin? What did you season it with?

No I didn't keep the skin... I didn't have time saturday to pin out the skin to let it dry so I just kept the rattle, meat, and the head. I'm hoping the ants in my backyard will eat most of the meat off the head and I can clean it up. I think that would look pretty cool. Maybe it's a stupid idea I don't know. And the marinade was 50/50 honey and soy sauce mixed together with a little ginger.

Buzzworms are great eating! I usually cut them into chunks and put them on foil on a BBQ and cook them in butter laced with some garlic.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu