RCBS Comp dies

Hallx7

Jul 31, 2013
Corona
Is anyone using the RCBS Comp dies?
I'm looking to fine tune several of my rifle loads. Thinking this may be a good way to go to play with OAL.
Currently using Lee dies (which are wonderful)
Are the comp dies worth the $ for the upgrade?

First and foremost. ask your self what are your goals for a given rifle... general hunting, plinking, long range precision, competition....? the list goes on and on. next COAL is not the only factor you need to consider, bullet, bullet type, bullet weight, powder powder charge, cartridge, you can do a world of different things to the case to change the characteristics that effect accuracy. So to sum it all in a small nutshell, comp die sets are only the beginning...

Yeah. I got all that. Right now my big issue is working on OAL.
Just wondering, from those that use them, are the RCBS Comp dies worth the $
They look good. I'd just like a little input on whether I should pull the trigger on them.

TaftHunter said:
I've used them and hornady. Both are nice!

Taft,

Which do you prefer? RCBS or Hornady. At this point I'm looking to more easily switch between my lead and non-lead bullets for my different loads as well as make minor OAL adjustments to try and tighten my groups up.

Thanks

Eric

To be honest they are pretty much the same. It's kind of a brand thing I guess. You will be happy with either one of them

TaftHunter said:
To be honest they are pretty much the same. It's kind of a brand thing I guess. You will be happy with either one of them

Chevy v Ford. Blue v Red.
Thanks Taft.

I reload to save some money and to make cheaper hunting loads not for long rang precision so take this for what it's worth. I used lee stuff exclusively for a long time. I reload 223 32-20 32mag 44-40 45 acp 300savage 45-70 12 and 20g and 243. When I got my 243 I could not find a lee at the time so I spent more on an rcbs. It's a great set but I see personally no difference. But that's just me. My lee sets adjust very fine adjustments for my use. I shoot the 243 out of 2 different guns out to 500 yards and my 45-70 to 750. But for me as long as I'm inside 4" I'm very happy.

uplandfam said:
I reload to save some money and to make cheaper hunting loads not for long rang precision so take this for what it's worth. I used lee stuff exclusively for a long time. I reload 223 32-20 32mag 44-40 45 acp 300savage 45-70 12 and 20g and 243. When I got my 243 I could not find a lee at the time so I spent more on an rcbs. It's a great set but I see personally no difference. But that's just me. My lee sets adjust very fine adjustments for my use. I shoot the 243 out of 2 different guns out to 500 yards and my 45-70 to 750. But for me as long as I'm inside 4" I'm very happy.

Thanks Upland. I use Lee exclusively on everything I reload. I'm currently reloading 20 calibers. I primarily load for target shooting and hunting but over the last 6 to 8 months I've been spending a lot of time developing loads and getting all my bolt guns to a sub 1/2 MOA. The reason I'm looking at the Competition dies is that they are made to be able to dial .001 increments in OAL which I can't get even close to being able to duplicate on my Lee dies. And switching between my Barnes and Hornady bullets for my hunting rifles requires a lot of time measuring and readjusting. From what I've read you can simply record the die setting for each OAL on a specific caliber and set that (just as you would adjust a scope for different distances) and load each separate bullet to your "recipe" OAL

Hallx7 said:
Yeah. I got all that. Right now my big issue is working on OAL.
Just wondering, from those that use them, are the RCBS Comp dies worth the $
They look good. I'd just like a little input on whether I should pull the trigger on them.

good to know. I have and use the RCBS comp die set for my .223 and 7mag. Heres my opinion on the comp dies, they are accurate but a big factor IMO with any set of dies is the lock nut. RCBS locks lack a little in the precision dept. because of the brass set screw that tightens against the side of the threads of the die itself. If you buy the Hornady with the pinch lock nut you will be able to adjust your dies with greater accuracy and you could save a few bucks if you try those the comp dies are pretty expensive, just saying....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu