Ready for the coot shoot

Jason,

I just got mine for band-tails...Gallinules look like coots, except they have a red & yellow bill...Also, called moorhens...Get some Wilson's snipe too.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Jason,

I just got mine for band-tails...Gallinules look like coots, except they have a red & yellow bill...Also, called moorhens...Get some Wilson's snipe too.

I think I've had some snipe dip n dive through my dekes before, but not 100% sure of my snipe ID. Assuming they're the real fast flyers that weave on by? And isn't there some old school prank or joke about taking someone snipe hunting?

Wilson's snipe are never in flocks...Those would be dowitchers...And they look very similar to snipe...Snipe also like marshy areas more than dowitchers that like shallow water areas.

.dowitcher.jpgdowitchers ll.jpgwilson's snipe.jpg

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Steve, Would you give us some more info on how you are i.d.'ing them and where and how we should expect to find them. It's one I have never versed myself enough to feel like I knew what I was doing and would like to give it a try. Seen both in the wild but was not capable enough to tell what I was looking at. I'll check the regs and compare them to your notes I think I get what you are saying about flocks and singles as I have seen it before.

Steve, Would you give us some more info on how you are i.d.'ing them and where and how we should expect to find them. It's one I have never versed myself enough to feel like I knew what I was doing and would like to give it a try. Seen both in the wild but was not capable enough to tell what I was looking at. I'll check the regs and compare them to your notes I think I get what you are saying about flocks and singles as I have seen it before.

Fred,

The Wilson's snipe are darker in appearance and fly erratically when flushed...They also make a funny sound when they take off...They frequent marshes, pastures, and stream bottoms... They also almost never fly in flocks of more than 2 or 3, and are usually by themselves...In the hand, they have a reddish brown tail area.

Short & long billed dowitchers like shallow water edged ponds and they on the other hand, are almost always in flocks...Much lighter in color and lack the reddish brown back & tail...They make a peeping sound in flight.

Short story...So, Cal & I are hunting a friends duck club back in 1975...Ducks weren't flying all that well, but the "snipe" were flying like crazy...I think Cal got like 4 with one shot...Then the owner of the club showed up and informed us that those flocks of "snipe" were dowitchers...We ate them and thought they were similar to doves...lol

Reactions: faciallyendowed
People have taken them at Barrett at least that is what the lake staff has told me. Thanks for the info Steve I will keep a lookout for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred,

The Wilson's snipe are darker in appearance and fly erratically when flushed...They also make a funny sound when they take off...They frequent marshes, pastures, and stream bottoms... They also almost never fly in flocks of more than 2 or 3, and are usually by themselves...In the hand, they have a reddish brown tail area.

Short & long billed dowitchers like shallow water edged ponds and they on the other hand, are almost always in flocks...Much lighter in color and lack the reddish brown back & tail...They make a peeping sound in flight.

Short story...So, Cal & I are hunting a friends duck club back in 1975...Ducks weren't flying all that well, but the "snipe" were flying like crazy...I think Cal got like 4 with one shot...Then the owner of the club showed up and informed us that those flocks of "snipe" were dowitchers...We ate them and thought they were similar to doves...lol

Kind of reminds me of the time at DKW club when another (nameless) member shot the crap out of the "green winged teal" aka Hen Pintails!!!

Matt (Mouthcallinmatt),

You used to be the Wilson's king...Anything I left out about the sporting snipe?

Snipe are tough. Have gotten a couple by luck.

DKW club. Now that brings back some memories!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu