Reg question

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
OK sports fans. Here's a question that has me stumped. It's really a two part question.

Can you hunt 2 different states on the same day?

Firstly, as far as limits go: It seems to me that if you could fill two limits in one day, by crossing state lines, then limit and possession rules become impossible to enforce. Also what would stop someone in the 'small states' from buying like 12 and just loading up. So I'm assuming you can't fill more than one limit in one day, even with two licenses.

Now the more subtle question: Could you hunt two states in one day, but only fill out 1 limit. I.e. kill half the limit in CA and the other half in AZ? Then which limit applies, the lower or the higher?

Also relevant, I was on a fishing boat of some repute. We filled out limits in Mexico and on the way in they said, "We're in US waters, everyone can catch a few more." Without getting into details of which boat, which fish, etc. I am wondering if you can fish both Mex and CA in one day.

If anyone knows anything, can you point me to a law? I have found this in CFW code, Title 50, Section 20.11:

(c) Bag limits -- (1) Aggregate bag limit means a condition of taking in which two or more usually similar species may be bagged (reduced to possession) by the hunter in predetermined or unpredetermined quantities to satisfy a maximum take limit.
(2) Daily bag limit means the maximum number of migratory game birds of single species or combination (aggregate) of species permitted to be taken by one person in any one day during theopen season in any one specified geographic area for which a daily bag limit is prescribed.
(3) Aggregate daily bag limit means the maximum number of migratoy game birds permitted to be taken by one person in any one day during the open season when such person hunts in more than one specified geographic area and/or for more than one species for which a combined daily bag limit is prescribed. The aggregate daily bag limit is equal to, but shall not exceed, the largest daily bag limit prescribed for any one species or for any one specified geographic area in which taking occurs.
(4) Possession limit means the maximum number of migratory game birds of a single species or a combination of species permitted to be possessed by any one person when lawfully taken in the United States in any one specified geographic area for which a possession limit is prescribed.
(5) Aggregate possession limit means the maximum number of migratory game birds of a single species or combination of species taken in the United States permitted to be possessed by any one person when taking and possession occurs in more than one specified geographic area for which a possession limit is prescribed. The aggegate possession limit is equal to, but shall not exceed, the largest possession limit prescribed for any one of the species or specified geographic areas in which taking and possession occurs.

msteiger said:
OK sports fans. Here's a question that has me stumped. It's really a two part question.

Can you hunt 2 different states on the same day?

Firstly, as far as limits go: It seems to me that if you could fill two limits in one day, by crossing state lines, then limit and possession rules become impossible to enforce. Also what would stop someone in the 'small states' from buying like 12 and just loading up. So I'm assuming you can't fill more than one limit in one day, even with two licenses.

Now the more subtle question: Could you hunt two states in one day, but only fill out 1 limit. I.e. kill half the limit in CA and the other half in AZ? Then which limit applies, the lower or the higher?

Also relevant, I was on a fishing boat of some repute. We filled out limits in Mexico and on the way in they said, "We're in US waters, everyone can catch a few more." Without getting into details of which boat, which fish, etc. I am wondering if you can fish both Mex and CA in one day.

If anyone knows anything, can you point me to a law? I have found this in CFW code, Title 50, Section 20.11:

(c) Bag limits -- (1) Aggregate bag limit means a condition of taking in which two or more usually similar species may be bagged (reduced to possession) by the hunter in predetermined or unpredetermined quantities to satisfy a maximum take limit.
(2) Daily bag limit means the maximum number of migratory game birds of single species or combination (aggregate) of species permitted to be taken by one person in any one day during theopen season in any one specified geographic area for which a daily bag limit is prescribed.
(3) Aggregate daily bag limit means the maximum number of migratoy game birds permitted to be taken by one person in any one day during the open season when such person hunts in more than one specified geographic area and/or for more than one species for which a combined daily bag limit is prescribed. The aggregate daily bag limit is equal to, but shall not exceed, the largest daily bag limit prescribed for any one species or for any one specified geographic area in which taking occurs.
(4) Possession limit means the maximum number of migratory game birds of a single species or a combination of species permitted to be possessed by any one person when lawfully taken in the United States in any one specified geographic area for which a possession limit is prescribed.
(5) Aggregate possession limit means the maximum number of migratory game birds of a single species or combination of species taken in the United States permitted to be possessed by any one person when taking and possession occurs in more than one specified geographic area for which a possession limit is prescribed. The aggegate possession limit is equal to, but shall not exceed, the largest possession limit prescribed for any one of the species or specified geographic areas in which taking and possession occurs.

If you can prove that you were in 2 different states in the same day there should be no laws broken, if you had them validated by a certified law officer in each state, except migratory birds which are Fed. regulated. Mexico has different limits on fish that the US does so you could add to the count of fish that you already have

Yeah...I am realizing this issue might be species specific. Funny you mention fish. I was on a boat and we limited on YT in Mexico. When we hit CA they said, "Everyone with a CA license can catch 5 more YT." But then later I was on another boat, and they said it was illegal to fish CA and Mex in the same day. Very confusing.

But I am wondering specially about waterfowl, I'm hitting AZ and CRIT this weekend and I wasn't sure if I can go to both in one day. And if so, can I fill 2 limits or just one. I just looked at FWS (Fed Fish and Wildlife...http://www.fws.gov/le/waterfowl-hunting-and-baiting.html) and they say this:

"Daily bag limit. You can take only one daily bag limit in any one day. This limit determines the number of waterfowl you may legally have in your possession while in the field or while in route back to your car, hunting camp, home, or other destination."

I think that clarifies waterfowl at least...

As for the fishing part in Mexico u can only have 5 yt but in ca u can have 5 over and 5 under 24 inches.. I fish both Mexico and us waters in the same day all the time on the private boat.. We normally head south then come north if the fish ain't biting.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu