Relocating to Southern California

Oneshot422

Feb 26, 2013
Hello SCH and hope everyone is doing well. Like many people on here I came across this forum after a job opportunity came up and am seriously considering taking it. I've been hunting for a few years after serving in the military and was looking for areas close by to hunt. Hope to be able to meet up with some great people to help learn some of the land. Been hunting peanut, cotton farms and pine timber the last few years and looking over the maps on Google Earth could use any advice on hunting California. I will be in the orange County area but will be willing to travel around 5 hours to get to good hunting if need be so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not asking you to show me where your honey hole is but just so good areas that are known for having good deer in them. Thanks and look forward to meeting some great new people.

Well - Welcome aboard Oneshot. You have come to the right place to get started on your hunting success. Poke around, ask questions and do homework. Contrary to what most out of state people think, California has some amazing hunting once you get tuned in.

Good luck and I look forward to reading about your hunting endeavors.

Welcome aboard. Thanks for your service and if you are moving to OC and willing to drive 5 hours boy are you in luck!!! There is some amazing hunting good news is there is some great hunting within and hour or two. I would suggest you find out where you want to hunt. I would suggest Cleveland National Forest. It's covers OC, Riverside County and SD. Also there is some BLM land. And lastly, what is intended game?

My bad...more importantly - thank you for serving your country! :-[

Start building your points on the X zones for some of the best oppurtunity CA has to offer.

And thank you for your service!!!

You are all very welcome for my service and thank you all for showing your appreciation. Yeah I was looking at CNF from Google Earth. I just left OC area on Sunday and was able to drive the Ortega trail and the views were amazing. Well for main game I would like to take a Mule or blacktail. Would love to go after some of these big horn sheep though too. Cant find those in Florida or Georgia. But I am open to whatever season is going on. Just love being in the outdoors, scouting, tracking and just being a part of nature. Would love to predator hunt as well. So yeah pretty open to everything just need a little bit of guidance onto where to start. If CNF is a good place then I'll pull the maps p and start my map scouting for next time I am out there.

What are the X zones?

World class hogs huh...always a good thing there too. Would love to see how you guys hunt hogs out here compared to down in GA and FL.

Oneshot422 said:
You are all very welcome for my service and thank you all for showing your appreciation. Yeah I was looking at CNF from Google Earth. I just left OC area on Sunday and was able to drive the Ortega trail and the views were amazing. Well for main game I would like to take a Mule or blacktail. Would love to go after some of these big horn sheep though too. Cant find those in Florida or Georgia. But I am open to whatever season is going on. Just love being in the outdoors, scouting, tracking and just being a part of nature. Would love to predator hunt as well. So yeah pretty open to everything just need a little bit of guidance onto where to start. If CNF is a good place then I'll pull the maps p and start my map scouting for next time I am out there.

What are the X zones?

World class hogs huh...always a good thing there too. Would love to see how you guys hunt hogs out here compared to down in GA and FL.

Great predator hunting!!!

X-zones are hunts that take a few years to draw, or If your lucky on your first try. X-zones are some of the best zones in the state. I don't hunt in your area so I'll let the other guys give you the scoop on your local zones...

Oneshot422 said:
Would love to go after some of these big horn sheep though too. Cant find those in Florida or Georgia.

You and about 6000 other people will be competing for the 24 tags available.....If you don't have points built up, there is one fundraiser tag that will be a random drawing. This may interest you;

CDFW is continuing the Fund-raising Random Drawing Tags for the 2013 hunt year. Hunters may apply as many times as they wish for California’s most coveted hunting tags. The entry fee is $5.97 per application and there is no additional tag fee for the successful tag holder. Applicants are not required to possess a valid 2013/2014 California hunting license at the time of entry. However, the successful tag holder shall possess a valid 2013/14 California hunting license before the tag is issued. The successful applicant will be mailed notification; unsuccessful applicants will not be notified. Applicants may apply at any CDFW license sales office, license agent or online.

The 2013 Fund-Raising Random Drawing Tags are:

Marble / Clipper and South Bristol Mountains Desert Bighorn Sheep Tag
The Fund-raising Random Drawing Bighorn Sheep Tag allows the hunter to hunt in the Marble / Clipper and South Bristol hunt zones with any legal method. The hunt dates are from November 2, 2013 to February 3, 2014, which is one month in advance of the general season.

Any resident or nonresident who will be age 16 or older as of July 1, 2013 may apply as many times as they want for the Fund-raising Random Drawing Desert Bighorn Sheep Tag. If successful for the bighorn sheep tag, hunter must attend CDFW’s mandatory bighorn sheep hunter orientation meeting before the tag is issued.

As an added bonus, a private entity, Dry Creek Outfitters, has offered free guide services to the recipient of the random drawing fund-raising sheep tag.

Breacher said:
Oneshot422 said:
Would love to go after some of these big horn sheep though too. Cant find those in Florida or Georgia.

You and about 6000 other people will be competing for the 24 tags available.....If you don't have points built up, there is one fundraiser tag that will be a random drawing. This may interest you;

CDFW is continuing the Fund-raising Random Drawing Tags for the 2013 hunt year. Hunters may apply as many times as they wish for California’s most coveted hunting tags. The entry fee is $5.97 per application and there is no additional tag fee for the successful tag holder. Applicants are not required to possess a valid 2013/2014 California hunting license at the time of entry. However, the successful tag holder shall possess a valid 2013/14 California hunting license before the tag is issued. The successful applicant will be mailed notification; unsuccessful applicants will not be notified. Applicants may apply at any CDFW license sales office, license agent or online.

The 2013 Fund-Raising Random Drawing Tags are:

Marble / Clipper and South Bristol Mountains Desert Bighorn Sheep Tag
The Fund-raising Random Drawing Bighorn Sheep Tag allows the hunter to hunt in the Marble / Clipper and South Bristol hunt zones with any legal method. The hunt dates are from November 2, 2013 to February 3, 2014, which is one month in advance of the general season.

Any resident or nonresident who will be age 16 or older as of July 1, 2013 may apply as many times as they want for the Fund-raising Random Drawing Desert Bighorn Sheep Tag. If successful for the bighorn sheep tag, hunter must attend CDFW’s mandatory bighorn sheep hunter orientation meeting before the tag is issued.

As an added bonus, a private entity, Dry Creek Outfitters, has offered free guide services to the recipient of the random drawing fund-raising sheep tag.

Wow that is awesome thanks for the info.

The best part of winning that fundraiser tag is the free guided hunt that comes with it! You can guarantee my name will be floating in the hat when it comes time for the drawing...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu