Removing the Barrel and Accuracy

cattledog04

Sep 12, 2017
Good afternoon. I want to adjust the trigger on my Mossberg Patriot. If I remove the barrel while leaving the scope attached, would I have to re-sight in the gun?

I kind of figured that, but was hoping to hear something else. I have been trying to zero this Mossberg Patriot and it has been costing me some cash. I finally got it to a 1.35 MOA at 100yds. I definitely would like it closer, but it might have to do for now.

Last edited:
Snake charmer is right on the money. With a rifle ammo experimentations pays dividends when reducing group sizes. Precision long guns are finicky with ammunition depending on tolerances and twist rates. If your shooting a 308 or 30-06 I've found 168 grain to 175 grain bullets will usually shoot best but the groups may very by brand and powders as well. You just need to experiment a little and find your guns round then stick with it.

It might benefit your accuracy after reassembly of the rifle. Proper torque to stock is a common issue with accuracy. Also look out for fitment issues while the action is off. Look for any play at the lug, and any point the stock might bind to the barrel. If you have any of those issues, it can be fixed at a later date for improved accuracy.

Reactions: cattledog04
Snake charmer is right on the money. With a rifle ammo experimentations pays dividends when reducing group sizes. Precision long guns are finicky with ammunition depending on tolerances and twist rates. If your shooting a 308 or 30-06 I've found 168 grain to 175 grain bullets will usually shoot best but the groups may very by brand and powders as well. You just need to experiment a little and find your guns round then stick with it.
I've tried about 4 different brands of 115 grain and found that Federal Premium w/ Nossler Partions work the best. I suppose I could try a different grain, too. It's getting a little costly though.

curious- what caliber, barrel twist rate? Is this for hunting or strictly target? Also how many rounds have you ran through it? How many times have you cleaned it?

The scope is attached to the action and you will be removing both together so in effect No your scope will not change. always a good idea when you take stuff apart to re check your gun.

now the bad news... 1.35" if measured from center of hole to center of hole is not so bad for a sub 500$ gun. Sub MOA is a great goal to chase but its not as simple as just the gun shooting right. Slightest things like gripping the stock to hard or inconstant cheek and shoulder weld can generate .35" of flaw and much greater.

lets see some pics of the groups. sometimes the spread can tell a bit about why they are where they are.

My Mossberg 4x4 has never shot worth a Sh*t until i decided to do a little upgrading. Your patriot is just an updated version of my rifle. If it came with the synthetic stock, you might want to look into changing it or do some bedding work.

Reactions: cattledog04
curious- what caliber, barrel twist rate? Is this for hunting or strictly target? Also how many rounds have you ran through it? How many times have you cleaned it?
.25-06, twist rate is above my pay grade (idk), hunting, and I've ran about 80 rounds through it. Clean it every time it goes out.

I've been shooting and hand loading for the 25-06 using the Nosler 115 partition since the mid seventies. The 25-05 does best with the 100 to 120 grain bullet and I would guess the twist rate of your rifle is appropriate for that. My 25-06 (Remington 700) is a bit finicky and required hand loading to get good accuracy (just a bit under 1") I would try tuning the rifle to start with. Adjust the trigger and bed the action as well as making sure the scope is properly mounted and torqued.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Snake charmer hit on the head. Please follow the torque specs. And consider maybe a light locktite. May sure the barrel is free floating. Being in manufacturing for years. Some times quality control slacks a little. That could be one of those cases.slightly not straight barrel. Or the macining of cartridge chamber. or other components. Look for burrs. Or slight imperfections.

before you go tweaking things.....

so just a guess but are you are a novice shooter? if so then a 1.3" group is damn good. I would work on my form and technique before messing around with the gun. If you expect to get sub 1" then its going to cost money and time. Lots of ammo and lots of time practicing. Even if you had a custom shop rig that could shoot tiny groups its still going to be hard pressed to shoot 1.3" groups in unskilled hands.

from a practical stand point you got your gun to 1.3 and that is good to go hunting wise. chasing the next 1/4" is going to cost ya and the 1/4" after that is really going to cost you :) welcome to the addiction.

when you are at the range how are you shooting your gun. off bags or bipod or ?

Reactions: xjon
Aeon is correct, it get's expensive if you want sub moa groups, it is all possible if you have money to spend, p/m me if you want 25-06 data . Otherwise you are dealing with a bargain gun and should not expect much more than what you are getting other than doing what I have already suggested. bedding an action is when a gunsmith sets the action and barrel in an stock that cannot shift when the gun recoils. another side note...You get what you pay for when money you spend

+1 with Aeon and SCharmer. Prior to tweaking with the gun, try different techniques. Find a guy/guys at the range who shoots well and see how well they can shoot your rifle.

I asked those questions above since I've experienced accuracy issues myself. My 308 savage I was about to sell since I thought it was finicky. Sometimes it would shoot well and sometimes not. i figured it was just myself not being consistent. I realized it shoots best after 60 rounds through it.

I am working with a 243 win now that I loaded 107gr bullets for. Not realizing the bullets required 1:8 or faster twist. My rifle is 1:10 twist. Result in keyhole shots made me realize my mistake. 87gr bullets much better now.

Both mistakes was realized through trial and error. Both cost me lots of time and expense. If you can't enjoy the trial and error in target shooting this won't be fun.

IMG_1222.PNG IMG_1223.PNG
I kind of figured that, but was hoping to hear something else. I have been trying to zero this Mossberg Patriot and it has been costing me some cash. I finally got it to a 1.35 MOA at 100yds. I definitely would like it closer, but it might have to do for now.
So with a little web browsing, I found your rifle is doing exactly what it should. Here is a couple picture from reviews. All the reviews read the same. Average group size was from 1.25" and up.

Thanks all. I am a novice shooter, but didn't know what to expect out of the gun. I'll be content with the grouping and let it be.

Old thread, I know, but I also shoot a Patriot, mine is in .308 and yeah, grouping under 1.5” at 100 yards is about all I’m expecting out of this rifle as is. Yeah, I could upgrade to a wood stock, I could have my action bedded, I could replace my current scope with something much more exspensive, but for what I’ve payed and what time I get to practice, I’m happy, content and comfortable with this as a hunting rifle.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu