Repainting decoys

CuppedUp

Nov 28, 2019
I’m looking to repaint some GHG pintail, widgeon and Spoonies. What colors/paints do you recommend for each? Thanks

I would recommend staying away from the cheap acrylics unless you want to constantly touch them up. Oil based flat spray paints like mentioned above and hobby oil paint will be the most durable. Make sure you hit them with some 1311 when finished.

67201ab8c3dde6fbdf644a7586c21d8e.jpg

604c60254f2db6e61e797d7ef9d9a73f.jpg

I would recommend staying away from the cheap acrylics unless you want to constantly touch them up. Oil based flat spray paints like mentioned above and hobby oil paint will be the most durable. Make sure you hit them with some 1311 when finished.

Those look really good. Are the shovelers and bluebills both old mallard decoys? My dad is thinking about getting rid of his old mallard decoys, I'll have to show him this.

Nice job on the fake boots

What about specific colors for each of the species mentioned? I know obviously the blacks and whites, but the brown on the pintail head, the brow/tan in the widgeon, Spoonies etc

What about specific colors for each of the species mentioned? I know obviously the blacks and whites, but the brown on the pintail head, the brow/tan in the widgeon, Spoonies etc

See my paints above...They're all pintail colors needed....Chocolate head, blue bill, and yellow butt patch.

Reactions: Designed2Hunt
Those look really good. Are the shovelers and bluebills both old mallard decoys? My dad is thinking about getting rid of his old mallard decoys, I'll have to show him this.

Those are brand new economy hardcore mallards. If you watch for sales you can get a dozen for $25 bucks. I’ve done spoonies, jacks, bluebills, and gadwall. I just mix my own paint until I get the color I want. Wigeon are probably the hardest to repaint. Foam brushes are the ticket to getting good feather detail.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
To revive these old decks, we got in to some flocking. Eliminating the glare of that new paint. We found some colored glue, some folks use polyurethane paint, then dust the flocking on with a flour sifter before the paint/glue dries. Once dry it’s very stable and durable. A bit of an upgrade for the 15 year old pieces of plastic.
How long ago did you flock them? Do you use slotted bags or is it durable enough to throw them together? Thinking about doing just the black on a bunch.

Don't know if I'm a believer, but I have used the white to accent mallards, pintail, bluebills, & cans.

ps...Crabb...I love G & H divers...And I still think their pintail decoys have the most realistic posture.

.california rigged 002.JPG

Reactions: Crabbclaw

do you remember what color/blend of colors you used for the orange/brown on the sides on the Spoonies? And what brand? Also the green head? They look great

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu